Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Will they fit without a hammer?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BAJA_BLAZER, Aug 20, 2001.

1. BAJA_BLAZER

BAJA_BLAZER 1/2 ton status Author

Will the sliding side windows from my 90 fit in a 73-75 full hard top. Has anyone done this successfully?

Ramsey

2. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

Yep, all the side windows are the same from 73-91. Nice to have tinted sliding windows in the full convertible top.

3. BAJA_BLAZER

Thanks! I thought so, but someone had posted in the for sale forum that they were not interchangable so I just wanted to check.

Ramsey

4. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

STOP! They will not fit. They are not even the same shape. I have a '73 & an '80. It is not even close. They will only work for '76 & up.

Jim '80 GMC & '73 Blazer
    Tread Lightly!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.gmck5.rockcrawler.com>www.gmck5.rockcrawler.com</a>

5. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

I have a 75 top and an 89 top and have measured both windows (both have the same measurements) and they appear to have the same shape. I have sliding windows in the 89 and am taking the measurements of the fiberglass opening, not the window itself because the window frame on the 89 is different. I know of a few people who have done the swap, but don't know the details of how they did it. I guess I'll be making a cardboard cut out to see where they don't match.

6. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

If you do you will have to reshape the window opening. He said with out a hammer, but I guess you could do it with a cut off wheel.

Jim '80 GMC & '73 Blazer
    Tread Lightly!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.gmck5.rockcrawler.com>www.gmck5.rockcrawler.com</a>

7. bandit

bandit 1/2 ton status

i used a the whole tailgate off a 84 on my 75 and it fit perfect the winodow sealed great

AJ
    Soon to wheelin spot near you
    Project Harvey[​IMG]

8. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

AJ, the windows in question are the side windows not the tailgate glass.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>

9. BAJA_BLAZER

Well the answer is clear as mud. I guess no one out there has done this and knows for sure. Since I have both tops, though not at the same location, I will have to make a template and see for myself. When I know the answer, I'll pass it on.

Ramsey

10. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

Well since I've seen so many full converts with sliders I'm going to have to stick to my original answer. If it's not a direct swap then it must not be too hard to modify. My second line of thought (a theory that I have) is that since GM seemed to like to use many of the same parts from year to year and between the pickup and Blazer then the windows would also be the same since they probably had some left over from the full convert and wouldn't have to re-tool/redesign. So for the half top they just had to chop the driver compartment off and add the mounting bracket for the cab. Just a theory that I have. Ready for the bashing ....

11. BAJA_BLAZER

Makes good sense to me!

Ramsey

12. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

My '75 had sliders when I bought it back in '87. They appear to be factory originals. I'm not sure that seeing sliders on full convertibles means that the sliders came from a newer rig.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...