Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

will this bender work?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by k5texan, Oct 19, 2001.

1. k5texan

k5texan 1/2 ton status

will the tube benders muffler shops use work for the size tubing i would need for a rollcage, sliders and bumbers.
    if so i have a friend that has a friend that owns a muffler shop that will probaly do it for cheap.
    thanks
    jared

2. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>More than likely, it will not work since those are pipe benders, not tube benders. Pipe benders do not retain the shape of the tube and can deacrease its thickness.

3. coopertwpk

coopertwpk 1/2 ton status

I use a 777 greenlee conduit bender it doesnt distort the tube at all its ment to keep inside clearance for wire pulls also with a 27 ton ram itll bend anything .

88k5 silverado w4"lift <font color=orange>d44 and corp14ff</font color=orange> with 4.11

4. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Well every time you bend something it changes the pipe or tube. They do have pipe benders that run a plug thru as your bending the pipe to help kep the shape of the pipe...There are a few things that can help with bending and somethings that are a must.... If your bending pipe and it is giving you some problems, slow and steady works best.... Sometimes you may need to heat the pipe to help it start bending.... But yes their tube bender should work fine...

C'moe

Kill Roy was here!

5. MUDNUTT

MUDNUTT 1/2 ton status

i work in an exhaust shop and the bender we have will only bend exhaust pipe. it has an internal bypass and will only put out so much pressure. anything thicker and it wont bend.
    deck

<font color=blue>DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT[​IMG]
    <font color=red>PROUD TO BE AMERICAN[​IMG]

6. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

The bends you are looking for are called mandrell bends. I have a harbor freight 12 ton bender that bends up to two inch pipe. It works okay. If you fill the pipe with sand before you bend it that helps too.

John

Like to go sloppin' 'round in da mud in a rapid fashion....=) [​IMG]

7. K5RON

K5RON 1/2 ton status

8. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

9. TwoCrowsDesign

TwoCrowsDesign 1/2 ton status

And don't forget, pipe is measured on inside diameter and tubing is measured on outside diameter. Mandrel size is the key to proper bending so pipe mandrels don't work as well for tubing.

John

10. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

One of my friends has the JD Squared version of that bender, which is pretty much identical, and it works great. He does roll cages and bumpers at this off road shop and they come out beautifully. Hopefully if I can find the time, I'll have a full cage in my truck by Thanksgiving. He's got some pics of a cage he put in a jeep at www.rit.edu/~bajawww
    Team Mudnuts www.mudnuts.org