Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Will this effect anything?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by SUB-ZERO, Oct 8, 2004.

1. SUB-ZERO

SUB-ZERO 1/2 ton status

I have a 85 Blazer 305 auto and a POS quadrajet.The carb is shot and I don't feel comfortable rebuilding it myself.A new one is $400-$700.I have a new Edel 1406(non-emission)and was thinking about using it.I will have to change the intake to a square bore like a matching Edel or something.My question is if I use a non EGR intake along with the non EGR carb that I already have will it effect anything I am not thinking about?

2. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

they sell adapter plates, avoid them if possible but you should be fine with the swap....

3. SUB-ZERO

SUB-ZERO 1/2 ton status

Thanks.I was worried about the Non-EGR thing.I have a adapter to go from spread to square that I will probably use until I get a new intake.

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    A new one is $400-$700

[/ QUOTE ]

A quality rebuild from a "REAL" shop is more like 250.00 . Th eone I bought runs great . I am going to rebush my original one for use in my other truck too . i am a little biased , but the damn things starts everyday for work , and climbs like there is no tommorrow . Don't be scared of it , its a carb /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. hawkeye649

hawkeye649 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    <snippy> Don't be scared of it , its a carb /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Skirdy kats never learn. /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

6. SUB-ZERO

SUB-ZERO 1/2 ton status

Yes the rebuild is $250.00 one from the parts store is $500. Ihave the Edel and have had one on my last Suburban with a 350 that ran like a scalded dog!Although this one does still run(barely) with the choke zip tied open and the secondaries don't work at all!Can't be all bad if it still runs with all that happenin to it I guess.No hills to climb here though.

7. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

The secondaries only open when they need to , they can be adjusted via spring tension to open sooner , but usually they are only needed at way high RPM , I can get mine to open if I rev my engine , but they rarely open driving , even when getting on it .

A "REAL" rebuild can be had at I-5auto , jet , and some others . Stay away from the parts store ones . The Edelbrock Q-jets are OK , but pricey .

Now your choke needing to be zip tied open , a rebuild kit and some adjusting will solve that .

But since you have no hils , just run what you want . Like I said I am a little biased to the Q-jets /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

8. SUB-ZERO

SUB-ZERO 1/2 ton status

The secondaries don't open with the pedal to the floor.

9. hawkeye649

[ QUOTE ]
    The secondaries don't open with the pedal to the floor.

[/ QUOTE ]

Something is wrong with your linkage. The secondairies should open at like 1/2 to 3/4 throttle IIRC.

I'm starting to really like my TBI. /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

10. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You won't see them open flooring the engine in the driveway. With no load, engine vacuum doesn't drop enough to allow the secondaries to open, thus why you won't see it in your driveway.

If you are actually driving around with your hood off and you see them not opening, then you have a real problem. I'd been meaning to zip tie my secondaries shut just to feel what it was like, but I swapped to TPI before I did.

11. hawkeye649

I could have sworn my just moved after a certain point. I just went out and checked, I was wrong as you normally are..... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Ignore the man behind the curtain! /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

12. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Ihave the Edel and have had one on my last Suburban with a 350 that ran like a scalded dog!

[/ QUOTE ]

you got the one in a million carb. EVERY Edelbrock i've ever come across has been a complete and total piece of crap. yeah, they're easy enough your grandma can tune them, and they hold a tune very well, but just running around on the primaries the QJet will blow it away in both milage and throttle response. and opening the secondaries, it doesnt have near the power it would with a QJet. off camber, the Eddy sucks big donkey balls.

13. SUB-ZERO

SUB-ZERO 1/2 ton status

Ok so I got into it and decided to change the intake also.Part of the smog crap was already missing so I removed what was left.Now I am installing a Edelbrock Performer RPM manifold along with the carb.I don't know what some of the stuff off the old manifold is though.First there are 2 nipple like things on the front, 1 with 4 small hoses coming off it and the 2nd nipple is a smaller T fitting.Also the radiator hose neck has a couple of things coming off it and the new neck has nothing.Does anyone know what any of this is? The book isn't much help.

14. SUB-ZERO

SUB-ZERO 1/2 ton status

Ok I got everything done and running great except one BIG thing.The transmission linkage doesn't hook up so I called Edelbrock.They said I needed to go to www.tvmadeez.com and buy a $150.00 cable and plate to make it work with the 700r4.The site also says I need to buy a 300psi gauge and hook it to my tranny to set it up.They tell me if I don't buy their stuff then my tranny is toast.Has anyone done this or am I being screwed!

15. jwduke

jwduke 1/2 ton status

Sounds like you are being screwed...... But the TV cable on a 700R4 has to be adjusted properly, or it will turn it into toast. You could take it to anny good tranny shop, and they should be able to adjust it for you. I'd check out Jegs or Summit Racing for the cable & plate you need. It could be cheaper there. Good luck!!!

16. SUB-ZERO

SUB-ZERO 1/2 ton status

I'll try that thanks!!

17. hawkeye649

The GM way to set up that modulator/kick down/tv cable is to pull it out 1/4". Most cables come at a pre-set length.
    The proper way is to hook up a pressure gauge, and set it via that.
    If you can fab up something the TV cable can attach too and move along with the throttle linkage, you should be good. Just remember, about 1/4" is good.

You'll know if it fails though, the thing runs like a dog and slips like a bastard, DON'T leave home without it!!

18. SUB-ZERO

SUB-ZERO 1/2 ton status

Just an update.I purchased the TVMADEEZ kit from Bowtie Overdrives and also a 300PSI liquid pressure gauge to adjust the transmission shift pressures.Just waiting for it to arrive sometime today.Dropped the 700r pan last night in anticipation.Boy I wish they would put drain plugs in those!Also purchased the FF 14 bolt I was talking about on another thread.Hard to pass up for $200 with some extra parts to boot.Now I need a 60 front axle.I'll update when I get the tv kit installed.