Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Will this gauge cluster work in my K5?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MuddQueenK5, Oct 26, 2005.

1. MuddQueenK5

MuddQueenK5 Registered Member

I am sorry for this very n00b question but my current cluster the oil pressure gauge is not reading and my speedometer miles will not reset (the thing you push in seems to be stuck and I don't want to smash it). I found this on eBay and was wondering if this would work in my 1988 Chevy K5 Blazer:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/78-7...010096156QQcategoryZ40017QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It looks exactly the same just the font and the gauge faces are somewhat different. I also wanted to know what that blank looking gauge on the bottom left (below voltage level and next to the temp gauge) does? TIA

2. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

I dont know for sure, but the printed circuit on the back could be different

3. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Technically it will work I have one in the garage and there is a good chance that your harness will plug into it. The problem you will have is the speedometer in that cluster does not have the reflector required for the VSS signal to the ECM. That is the only thing that kept me from putting the 100MPH speedo in mine. The "blank" gauge is where the clock goes on the Silverado trim or where the gas gauge is located if there is a factory tach.

Ira

4. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

It's real easy to swap out individual guages, easier than replacing the whole cluster. You need to see if you have a mechanical, or electric oil pressure guage. You can tell by popping the hood and looking at the back of the engine block, behind the distributor. Thats where the oil pressure sender goes. If there are wires going to it, yours is electrical and you will need to find an electric guage to replace it. If there is a metal rigid tube, about 1/8" in diameter that goes through the firewall, its mechanical. Or you can just pull the offending guage and if there are electrical contacts, it's electrical, if you have to unscrew a fitting for the aforementioned tube, it's mechanical, and must be replaced with the same. Now as for the speedo, I assume you are talking about the trip meter that is stuck, it doesn't look like the one on ebay has a trip meter, I don't know what years those came in.

That "blank" guage is actuall the brake idiot light. Mine has never worked so I'm not really sure of how it functions properly, but I 'think' it is supposed to be on when the parking brake is on, and it's also supposed to come on via a switch in the porportioning valve if you lose pressure in either the front or rear brake circuit. Hope this helps.

5. jhellwig

jhellwig 1/2 ton status

The one on my 89 was not a push in style. It was a pull and turn style.

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

And BTW, they are a crappy design that is very prone to not work correctly after this many years and miles. :(

7. MuddQueenK5

MuddQueenK5 Registered Member

Interesting...thanks for all the replies...

Looking at the circuit board I didn't think you could replace each gauge individually. I assumed you have to replace the entire assembly if something failed. I will try out what you guys suggested and let you know how it goes. Thanks again for all the replies.

:bow::bow:...always to you guys!