Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Will this hold up? (draglink)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BowtieRed, Jun 27, 2004.

1. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

My friend was wheelin the other day in his dodge ram with factory x-over. it's a 1994 ram 1500. he broke the adjusting sleeve on the draglink- the on to center the steering wheel. i went to advance, but all they had was a tie rod end sleeve. same threads, but not really thick in the middle like the one of the drag link. so i put it on, in the mud, and centered the wheel the best i could without any good tools (hands, torque wrench (couldn't find ½" ratchet) 3/8" ratchet, and small vice grips (the kinda needlenose kind)) basically no monkey wrench, which sucked. there's probably and inch and a half gap inside the sleeve, think it'll hold up? thanks.

2. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

whats the wall thickness?? anything ovr 1/8" should be ok, only one way to find out, nurse it to the nearest rockpile and go like a madman!!! /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.giflet us know

3. highrider_44s

highrider_44s 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    only one way to find out, nurse it to the nearest rockpile and go like a madman!!! /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.giflet us know

[/ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif nurse it to the rock pile /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif and go like a mad man /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

4. bigburban383

bigburban383 1/2 ton status

Dodges suspension suck. If you lifted your Dodge, count on breaking one of the front control arms.

5. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

I am not familiar with the Dodge steering set-up, but I do know that the low cost of steering components compared to death is well worth the investment. If there is no doubt that it will do fine, then run it. If you have to wonder, then I would replace it. What I wonder though is if he broke the thicker one, wouldn't it be likely that he would break the smaller (thinner) one, only sooner? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

6. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

ok, i just looked, i saved the broke one, and it is not thicker in the middle, just flared out so the clamps have to be on the end, the wall thickness is the same throughout. i think i'm going to go tell him i need to get the gap in the middle smaller so it'll be stronger, even if it will get his steering wheel off center (although it's real bad now) thanks.