Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Will this locker be okay?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by neverendingproject, Nov 21, 2005.

1. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

I am the new owner of a 14sf for my blazer (yay) and I was searching around and found this on summit. I wanted to see what you guys think about it or if i should go a different route. My thinking is that I dont want to mess with the carrier as to avoid messing with shims, wear pattern etc. and I dont do much rock crawling, mostly mud. The description looks impressive, but I wanted opinions before I shelled out 430 bucks.

http://store.summitracing.com/largeimage.asp?part=PWT-92-0795-3305

"The Powertrax No-Slip Traction Systems are the latest design in traction-adding differential technology. They combine the smooth operation of a limited-slip differential with the traction performance of a locking differential. A precise synchronization mechanism eliminates the ratcheting sounds typical of other locking differentials. Special gear and spring designs reduce the backlash, and, therefore, the driveline windup. Only ultra-strength material that is 67 percent stronger than titanium is used. Installation is simple because no ring and pinion setup is required. In addition, no special tools or oils are needed. Step-by-step, model-specific instructions are provided with every kit. "

2. hunterguy86

hunterguy86 1/2 ton status

I'd go w/ a lockrite instead. Thats what i'm gonna do. From my experience any limited slip = BAD. they unlock at the wrong times. My stock govloc worked better than my buddys auburn gear limited slip. He stuck it all the time cause it would unlock.

3. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

Looks similar to Lock Rites design :thinking:

4. oneofthefewbmx

oneofthefewbmx 1/2 ton status

5. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

You're on the right track; its amazing how many people are attempting OffRoad with an open Diff, either front and/or rear. This is what I've done, and I'm extremely pleased. 1985 K10Sub with stock 10B, LT235/85R16 BFGTAKO. LockRite and PowerTrax are made by Richmond Gear. I have LockRite in front because I only engage front axle OffRoad, the LockRite is less $$ because it doesn't have extra stuff to make it street smooth. PowerTrax in the rear, you can push it to chirp the inside tire when turning, thats left or right, and it works great. Its also really Kool on wet asphault, no fishtail. Went accross Soda Lake with hub high mud, I could feel all four chewing. Did Miller Jeep still on stock springs, again, I feel the front chewing through the rocks; even the onlookers could see what it was doing. Both are extremely easy to install, but it does require bumping-out one shaft, at least on 10B. Overall, with the Richmonds and the BFGs, nothing has stopped me yet except for carb flood, and even that was just hesitation. Everyone else seems to need to get a running head start and blast away and break something. With 18psi, hubs locked, in 4lo, I just crawl through or over. When you install them, watch-out for the little springs, they can get away from you.:wink1:

Last edited: Nov 22, 2005
  6. oneofthefewbmx

hey neverendingproject, i just realized you live in belton. i live in copperas cove, we shoud get together and go wheelin. whada ya say

7. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

That'd be great, but right now, I have no engine, therefore nothing to go wheeling with. Im planning to be done around christmas so after that, sure..

8. shaun89

shaun89 1/2 ton status

im trying to lock my truck too and i no a daily driver with a locker front end is just plain bad...but what about a locker like that, would that be worth it for the front in a daily driver? it doesnt seem as severe is a detroit locker and not as bad as a limited slip

9. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

There's lots of print on retrofit traction devices on the steering wheels, in ice or snow, on or off road, chains or no, etc. But for dirt, mud, rock the torque spliters are great. The new car mfg. are trying all kinds of ways to find the magic formula, I think I read the LR3 has "got it right". Like I said below, the LockRite in my front 10B w BFGTAKO, does not spin tires, all while steering; I don't think anything else can perform as well. Oh, and of course, DD the front axle is disengaged.:doah:

Last edited: Nov 22, 2005
  10. oneofthefewbmx

hey shaun89, i dont see why running a locked front end in a daily driver is bad. as long as you dont have drive flanges you should be ok...when the hubs are not locked the carrier doesnt spin (except w/ maybe a little residual rotation of one of the axle shafts, or if the t-case is in 4wd). but if the hubs are not locked, then even having a spool in the front will not affect your rigs ablility to let the tires turn at different speeds. but once you lock the hubs, you may experience a wider turning radius. on the road w/ the hubs unlocked you should have no problem having a locker in the front (even a spool).