Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Will this tow my Blazer and some dirtbikes

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by 88Silverado, Mar 21, 2004.

1. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

Hi All, Sorry I dont have pics yet but I just bought a Motorhome and was wondering if you think if it will tow the blazer (maybe on a trailer with a couple dirtbikes) /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Its a 1988 35' Executive Prestiege on a Chevy Chassis running a Cummins 6BTA5.9 Turbo Diesel connected to a Allision AT-545 4 speed with Gear Vendor Overdrive. It has a tag axle with adjustable air bags and has 27,000 miles on it. I think its rated at 18,500lbs. /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

Dont know if the weight of the blazer is too much of a load. I always see big motorhomes pulling broncos, buggies, bikes and heeps but not many blazers /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

You need to find the GCWR for the motor home to see if it's capable of pulling the weight of the trailer and the motor home weight. For a more detailed explanation, check out this article. It breaks down everything you need to know about calculating the towing capacity of a given vehicle.

Here's an excerpt...

"Gross Combination Weight Rating (GCWR) is another design capacity of a towing vehicle. It means the maximum weight rating of a towing vehicle and a towed unit in combination. GCWR takes into consideration such things as the drive train capacity (i.e. engine, transmission, drive shaft and differential), gearing, braking capacity, suspension, and axle loading. When integrating a tow vehicle with a trailer, either a fiver or travel trailer, add the GVWR of the trailer with the GVWR of the tow vehicle. If they add up to more than the GCWR of the tow vehicle it a bad match. The only solution is to pick a lighter trailer or a bigger tow vehicle. The same applies to a self contained unit and a towed unit, either four wheels down or on a dolly. Each of the big three pickup truck manufacturers (Chevrolet, Dodge and Ford) state in their literature a "Trailer Towing Capacity" as well as an alternate method for determining maximum allowable trailer weight. The published towing capacity is maximum allowable trailer GVWR, but usually requires extra optional features - called a towing package, and other options such as a particular engine or rear axle ratio. In addition, State Laws require that any towed vehicle exceeding a specified weight, usually about 1,000 to 1,500 lb.., must have it's own braking system. The alternate method for determining allowable trailer weight requires that you know the loaded weight of the tow vehicle and the loaded weight of the trailer (something we don't know when we are on the dealer's lot). The sum of these loaded weights must not exceed the tow vehicles GCWR. If you use the alternate method for computing allowable trailer weight, you risk not being able to load the tow vehicle more than the weight you used when you calculated the allowable trailer weight. There are also limits placed on the tongue or "hitch weight" when towing a travel trailer. Plan on 12% of the trailer's GVWR as hitch weight; actual hitch weight when connected should fall between 9% and 12% of the trailer's loaded weight. Fifth-wheel pin weight comes out of the trucks payload capacity, and you should plan on 18% of the fiver's GVWR. With the fiver hitched-up the pin weight should be between 15% and 18% of the trailer's loaded weight. No combination should ever exceed the tow vehicle's Gross Axle Weight Ratings, front or rear."

BIGJ

3. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

Make sure you have a good tranny cooler on it........

John

4. 88Silverado

Thanks for the info /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

I found some calif statelaws about possibly requiring a Class-B non-commercial license if its over 40', I assume that is with a trailer.

The motorhome has a pretty large cooler with cockpit controlled fans for additional cooling.

Thanks again

5. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Thanks for the info /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

I found some calif statelaws about possibly requiring a Class-B non-commercial license if its over 40', I assume that is with a trailer.

The motorhome has a pretty large cooler with cockpit controlled fans for additional cooling.

Thanks again

[/ QUOTE ]

Well between the Cummins, the Allison, the gearvendor, and the extra cooling, strength wise you have no problem pulling 2 blazers behind it.
    Your only issue would be legality.
    Like was mentionned you need to check what your Gross Combined Weight Rating (GVWR) is and what your your RV weight is and see if you have enough left for the weight you will have on the tongue to pull the weight legally.
    The rest is license, length, and trailer brakes.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    That is a nice setup you have by the way, all the nice stuff in a mobile camp.
    /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

6. 88Silverado

I read all the documentation and read the mfg plate by the drivers door. Doesnt mention anything about GCWR or tow weight. It does have a tow breaking system installed below the dash.

It says GVWR 18500, front GAWR 5000, Rear 10000 (Dual)
    I dont know if the difference is the tow weight.

Just wondering what I can do with it. I had no intention of buying this thing until I started looking at it. Its compeletly loaded and the interior is in excellent condition. It only has 27K miles, tires look virtually new, it also has a 6.5kV propane gen, 28 gal propane tank, 100 gal fuel tank, 90 gal water, 50A service, 5 new interstate deep cycle batts, dual AC, backup camera, 5 awnings, full size car-cover, auto-leveling hydro jacks... aaagghh...aaaggghhh...aggghhh /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

I paid $25K. Thats $10K less than my 2002 trans-am /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

7. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I read all the documentation and read the mfg plate by the drivers door. Doesnt mention anything about GCWR or tow weight. It does have a tow breaking system installed below the dash.

It says GVWR 18500, front GAWR 5000, Rear 10000 (Dual)
    I dont know if the difference is the tow weight.

Just wondering what I can do with it. I had no intention of buying this thing until I started looking at it. Its compeletly loaded and the interior is in excellent condition. It only has 27K miles, tires look virtually new, it also has a 6.5kV propane gen, 28 gal propane tank, 100 gal fuel tank, 90 gal water, 50A service, 5 new interstate deep cycle batts, dual AC, backup camera, 5 awnings, full size car-cover, auto-leveling hydro jacks... aaagghh...aaaggghhh...aggghhh /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

I paid $25K. Thats $10K less than my 2002 trans-am /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Well Arveetek is the authority on RV's, you can find him on the GM diesel forum, but the GVWR is what that vehicle can take in total weight, so if you weigh it, it will tell you how much more you can load in it without going over the manufacturer limit.
    Now what intrigues me is that between the front and the rear axle, you only have 15000lbs rating, how can the whole thing be 18k?
    Usually the GVWR is little less than both axles combined as a safety margin.
    Anyway PM Arveetek (RVtech) he can help you with it more, it's what he does for a living I think.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. 88Silverado

Cool...thanks for the info /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

Maybe the (Dual) listing for the rear means Dual tires which is on the main axle and the remainder is carried by the tag axle. I dont know.
    I will PM Arveetek

Thanks again!