Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

will this wireing work

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rose, Dec 16, 2002.

1. rose

rose Newbie

i dont know and no one can tell me.
    i have a 6.2 blazer and converting to 350 and wanted to know if i can just swap out the 6.2 wiring harness for the harness with the 350 one.
    thanks for any info you can give me.

2. k5blazerus

k5blazerus 1/2 ton status

Keep the same wire harness the one from a parts truck will not work. I have done a couple of these motor swaps. All that is really involed is pull the 6.2 out and install the gas motor. the alternator wire's starter wire's are the same as goes for the a/c. But you will need to suply a constant 12volt power to the distributor you can use one of the glow plug leads to suply power to the disrtibutor.
    For the fuel hook up find the main fuel suply line and conect it to the fuel pump and run a fuel line from the pump to the carb. Make sure to fune a good fuel filter. I would srtongley recomend to drop the tank and have it clean.
    Its a easy swap if you have the mechanical apptitude to do it. IF I am missing something let me know.
    Colin

3. bigbluek20

bigbluek20 1/2 ton status

Actually it is quite easy to use the diesel one. It has been a few years (more than 10 actually), but here is what I remember (mine was in an 82, yours may be different).

Basically, remove the glow plug wiring (snip). Pull the pink wire out of the harness at the rear of the engine and plug it into the distributor (it is already there). Alternator and starter should wire up fine.

My worst problems were completely removing diesel fuel from the tank (had two full ones) and getting the emissions guys happy (mostly from a "recertification" standpoint). Use a complete 350 from the same type of vehicle (GVW rating for emissions, same year or newer, etc.). Unless you don't have emissions... then just count your lucky stars!

If you have the factory harness for the 350 already and want to use that, PM me. My factory manual is very tough to read on the wiring harness connector so it would take a while to verify the wiring compatibility. In a nutshell, though, the wires should all be the same color. The diesel might have a few extras is all (glow plugs and a few other sensors). I was surprised at the wire color compatibility when swapping in my Vortec 454 from a 96 pickup.

Probably too much info, but a few other notes:
    Power Steering (presumably hydro): just tee the return line back to the pump; the diesel pump mounts differently and will not work; 350 pump only has one return line.
    Alternators: Mounting is clocked 1/4 turn; remove casing bolts and rotate (or use the one from the 350)
    Exhaust: Complete bolt up; easy as pie (as long as the emission jockeys don't ask for kitty cats).

Hope this helps.

4. rose

rose Newbie

thanks guys you have been alot of help
    mike /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif