Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

will this work

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by zenlh, Feb 26, 2005.

1. zenlh

zenlh Registered Member

i have a rebuilt 85 350 with the four bolts that hold the valve cover down on the outside i believe it's call standard heads. i have a 87 chevy with a tired 350 with center bolts on the valve covers and tbi. can i switch heads on the 85 350 to center bolt heads and drop it into my 87 with tbi and make everything fit with out any problems or are the blocks different? thanks in advance

2. MarcS

MarcS 1/2 ton status

I dont know of any reasons why you would have to change the heads. I thought the only difference were the later Vortecs. You should be able to just switch the intake manifolds for the TBI. Engine sensors, Im not sure about. 85s had carbs.

Please correct me if Im wrong.

3. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

the center 4 holes need to be angled to fit tbi intake to old style heads. other than that go for it. but use the 85 flywheel or flex plate. there is old and new style from when thay went to 1 peice rear main seal.

4. zenlh

zenlh Registered Member

when you say angle the 4 holes, do you mean to make the holes in the manifold bigger. thanks for the heads up on the flex plate.

5. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

if i remember correctly the old angle was 90 degress and the tbi angle is 72 degress? but i havent done this before . lots of people have and i have seen it work. thay just use a die grinder or round file and open the holes the way thay need. just remove the intakes and look at both you will see the differance.

6. zenlh

zenlh Registered Member

it'll work

:laugh: thanks for all the help researched on internet, and found that all i need to do is exactly what you said. i will go on with the engine replacement after i pick up a new flex plate.