Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Will this work?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MTBLAZER89, Apr 29, 2003.

1. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Yes, it will. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

The biggest thing about setting up R&P as far as tools go, is getting and using the pinion depth tool. These are one of the "necessities" of owning and using to getting your proper depth.
    The dial indicator is equally as important for setting your backlash.

Get this dial indicator and then try to get the depth tool. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif After these tools have been obtained, get some puller tools for bearings and a hydraulic press. Also get some seal/race driving tools, too. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. MTBLAZER89

Cool Thanks. Where can I find the pinion depth tool? I have access to the pullers and the presses on the base so thats not a big concern, but they don't have a lot of specialty tools.

-Brian

4. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Just start with the shim pack You removed, set it up, and use paste, to check the pattern, check, and add, or remove shim's as needed.

Or, the Pinion has either a + or a - marked on it for the original shim pack. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

5. MTBLAZER89

But there is an actual tool for checking pinion depth? Or just marking compound?

6. georgiared84

georgiared84 1/2 ton status

If you use ebay do a search on there. That's where I for one for my 10 bolt. You might check Randy's ring and pinion. I think they sell them. To answer your question, yes there is an actual tool.

7. MTBLAZER89

Thanks everyone. I found a dial indicator at harbor freight for pretty cheap, but I can't find this pinion depth tool /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif can somebody give me a link or point me in the right direction. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Oh yeah and the special hub socket for 14bff where can I pick up one of these?

-Brian

8. MTBLAZER89

9. georgiared84

georgiared84 1/2 ton status

Online at http://ringpinion.com, or call 1-800-292-1031. That's randy's ring and pinion. They sell them. They sell everything you need to set up almost any axle, and I've always had good luck dealing with them. They've put up with a lot of my dumb questions.

10. mastercraftkpk

mastercraftkpk 1/2 ton status

Using the tool will get you close (as in "this looks good on paper"), but using marking compound will ensure that everything is where it needs to be (as in "this works in the reality").

If I remember correctly, Randy's site also has some great pictures re: diagnosing marking compound results.

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

11. MTBLAZER89

Thanks I got the marking compound, and have printed out the install pdf file from Randy's. I got my master install kit too yesterday so I guess I am about ready.

-Brian