Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Will this work?

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by rvreddog, Nov 21, 2003.

1. rvreddog

rvreddog Registered Member

I have a utility trailer with the pipe rails thats about two years old. My Scout fits on there fine,but my Blazer wont. The bed is angle iron 4" tall by 3.5"wide.My question is if I weld in 2"x4"x3/16for the perimater and 4"x4" angle for new crossmembers,can I safely cut the pipes off? I`m sick of changing my tires all the time,and it seems like they get heavier every day. By the way a new trailer is pretty much out of the question unless I can live in it. The gospel according to my wife. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

2. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

Depends on what it has for a subframe. Angle iron is not the best material to use, channel iron is much better. The pipe rails on the trailer more than likely act as bridging and supply much of the support for the trailer. If you cut the pipes off it will probably bounce like mad from flex.

John

3. rvreddog

rvreddog Registered Member

I`m sorry you couldn`t read my mind. Thats what I meant when I said 2x4x3/16 (wall channel).I guess I thought because I thought it everyone would know what I meant. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif