Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Will Thorley's crack if you try to bend them??>>>

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Burt4x4, Oct 12, 2004.

1. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Will Thorley\'s crack if you try to bend them??>>>

My Pass Side header is pionting right at the tranny's crossmember. Can I bend it somehow?
    Heat?
    Exahust Shop?
    Anyone ever bend one?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Can you see how the collector bends toward the frame & the cossmember is right infront of it. I want to bend it toward the tranny. I just need an inch or two over.
    [​IMG]

ANYONE /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Re: Will Thorley\'s crack if you try to bend them??>>>

TTT /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

3. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

Hi burt...
    Ive had thorleys on (2) gen two trucks and the pass side has always been the side with less clearance...usually the shackle bolt... especially with ord stuff installed
    a couple of questions
    1) Confirm they are the correct ones for your truck and not a 2x
    2)are you trying to run duals...or singles... from your pic it looks similar to one of mine but my crossover for a single exhaust cleared the crossmember easily....
    the second set I had to heat a single pipe for a clearance issue (different in your case) and it wasnt any problem massaging it...

3)as to bending them...

yes you could bend them, with difficulty, but I dont think any exhaust shop can bend the whole collector, as their dies wouldnt be large enough or be the proper size and would dimple the pipe...

4)You might consder having them modified by a good shop(if you dont fab) who could CUT them cleanly and reweld the collector, moving it in the direction you want...obviously this destroys the chrome finish but you could heat paint it or have the headers jet hot coated/ chromed again.( I might even use stainless wire then the joint wouldnt rust) I found the chome on mine wasnt pretty but it definately made them resistant to corrosion

5) You could try heating the whole collector with a rosebud tip but I am pretty sure from your pic once you began to bend the pipe you would end up with a nasty dimple... I wouldn't suggest this method(strictly from looking at the pic and without actually seeing it in the truck) Remember you have to clearance for the motor torquing in the the truck when you have such tight clearance issues)... My thorleys came much closer to the starter (and I felt it necessary to heat shield them)
    If you were closer I would be happy to fab this for you... sorry...
    I hope this helps you make a decision that works for you
    cam

4. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Thanks Cam, Greg72 has the same headers and I don't think he moved his or bent it? So that would mean that the 3-4 inches I have infront of the collector should be enouch to get a bent exhaust pipe in there to bolt up.
    I'm exploring all my options... I thought about cuting it...don't realy want to..
    I was thinkng if I can secure the header to something then heat the collector end HOT, stick a big bar inside the header then try to pry or push the way I need to bend it...maby it would bend...maby I would ruin it...maby I should just put money in a pile and burn it /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gifhahahahaha
    Oh well I'll figure it out..
    Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

From the pics, it looks like there is enough room to fit a curved pipe in there still. A good exhaust shop should be able to fix you up.

John

6. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

Summit sells the solution. It is a by Hedman and is a couple foot piece with a small jog in it that will solve your problem. I used them on mine to solve the same problem. Found them on Ebay for $20. I think they are designed to solve just that problem.

Might be easier to just go to an exhaust shop and have them do it. I made my own exhaust so the Hedman pieces were a great solution for me.

-Chris

7. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Cool thanks fellas, I think I will see if a pipe will fit in there...??i'll go check out that summit deal too /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif