Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

will tie rods interchange?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by blazerdude69, Aug 27, 2005.

1. blazerdude69

blazerdude69 Registered Member

I put 1st gen. 3/4 ton axles under my 84 blazer. My question is can I chane out the complete tie rod assembly with one from a mid 80 ten bolt 1/2 ton axle? will the newer tie rods fit the knuckles? Just getting started in 4 wheeling so any info would be greatly apprec. I realize I will probably lose my steering stabilizer but that is not a big concern to me.

thanks

2. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

no i belive they will NOT

the taper on them is different, some hack job pathetic excuse for a mecanic put 1/2 tons on my 3/4 ton burb befor i got it, tightened all the way left a lot of slack in the stearing

3. blazerdude69

blazerdude69 Registered Member

4. thedrip

thedrip 1/2 ton status

The taper for the tie-rods is all the same, its the drag link ends that are slightly different.

As for the later truck tie-rod onto an axle with flat top knuckles, since the tie rod end goes in from the top on the old knuckles, unless you have zero rates, the tie rod rubs the leaf springs. If it doesn't rub, you certainly can't install it without putting both tie rod ends into the knuckles, then threading the tie rod itself onto both at the same time.

The older style tie rod ends had a offset neck to clear the leaf springs.