Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Will underhood insulation lower in-cab noise levels?

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by DukeBoy88, May 21, 2005.

1. DukeBoy88

DukeBoy88 1/2 ton status

Oct 16, 2002
    I just coated the floors of my M1008's cab with about 1/8" of Durabak bedliner and it lowered the noise level in the cab cosiderably. i also sealed some holes in the firewall that used to have wiring. Will underhood insulation lower the noise level in my cab at all? does it actually absorb sound or just not let it pass through? Also is there a reason that the exaust manifolds on this 6.2 use springs to hold the pipes on, instead of just a nut? Mine are too rusty to tighten without breaking off I belive, and they're leaking. Would like to carry on a conversation at highway speed once and a while. Thanks in advance.
  2. AgDieseler

AgDieseler Certified Scrap Producer Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Jan 25, 2001
    Think of body panel - the hood in particular - as a big speaker. Stick something like a Rhinoliner or Dynamat on the bottom surface, and the panel has a harder time reverberating.

Yes, coating the underside of your hood will help, and some materials do a better job than others. :thumb: