Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

will v6 bolt to my sm465?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by SICNICK, Mar 18, 2006.

1. SICNICK

SICNICK Registered Member

Will a 1996 MPI vortech V6 4.3 bolt up to my existing sm465 tranny? I hope the bellhousing is the same, I have a carbed 305 currently, Thanks

Last edited: Mar 19, 2006
  2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

yep, the 4.3 shares the same bellhousing as the sbc and bbc

3. SICNICK

awesome, thanks for the quick response man, What about any clutch/flywheel issues? I really appreciate it.

4. big83chevy4x4

the flywheel will probably have to be off a 4.3, im preaty sure they have the same bolt pattern as the 1 piece sbc cranks, but the weights may be different on a 4.3 vs a 350 as the on peice seal motors are externally ballanced.

5. SICNICK

the motor im looking at was linked to a 4L60, so I assume the ECU will be adjusted for that, but If I am going to be emissions exe4mpt...will this matter?

I dont want to have to swap the auto into my truck, I LOVE my sm465...

6. jhellwig

jhellwig 1/2 ton status

I know the 4.3 in astro vans are different bell housing. Probaly s-10's also.

7. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Most of the time I have heard of Vortech swaps they needed to use the ECM from a 96 year model for a manual tranny. Don't take my word for it though I don't know alot about Vortech swaps.

Harley

8. big83chevy4x4

i have 2 astro 4.3 and 4 s10 4.3s (88, 92, 93, 94, 96, an 01) and they are all the same. don't know what your talking about.

if it had a 4L60, there is no computer programing needed. but if it has the 4L60E, an ecm from a manuall tranny will work or you need the ecm programed.

9. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

The difference he is talking about is the hydro slave portion of the bell housing not where it bolts to the engine. ALL SBC, BBC, and 90* V/6 chevy's share the same bell housing bolt pattern.

10. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

Please explain ??? I have gotten a few TH400's out of Astro Vans and they all have had the standard GM 90* bolt pattern.

Just a note on the flywheel question - make sure that the later model 4.3 does not use an oddball balancing method if it has the counter balance shaft in the intake valley. Not all 4.3's are balanced the same ( some are counter balanced and some are not ) so don't just take a generic answer as the way it is for all applications.

Tom

11. SICNICK

So are we all In agreement that I will be OK to just pic up the motor, I was only gonna get the tranny if I HAD to have it.:doah: I need to let the seller know...

Autozone sells the ECM for a 96 chevy s10 for $124, so could I just order one for a manual? I appreciate it guys.

12. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

I am sorry I am not much help at all on the electronic portion of the swap - it's just not my area of knowledge. I just wanted to warn you about the mechanical differences on the balancing of these motors. Some of the more electronic tech guys should be able to answer the ECM questions .

Tom

13. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Balance is the same 4.3L vs. SBC. They use identical flexplates on the autos! Its probably best to use the SBC/SM465 flywheel & clutch... iirc the stock pressure plate may have a goofy bolt pattern, and the stock trans uses a telescopic throwout bearing.

96+ 4.3L did use an aluminum oil pan which (iirc) bolts directly to the 2nd-gen 4L60E. I'm unsure how that will meet up with the stock full-circle aluminum SM465 bellhousing :crazy: Some shaving may be required one way or the other.

14. jhellwig

jhellwig 1/2 ton status

Our 96 astro van has a full round bell housing. All one peice and it bolts to the oil pan. The housing doesn't look like any I have seen on a sbc. Doesn't even look like it will mate to one.

15. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Its round on the bottom half. The top half still has the traditional SBC shape similar of the roof of a house ;)

Here's the 2nd-gen 4L60E just for refernce:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

16. jhellwig

jhellwig 1/2 ton status

I stand corrected. I always thought they were the same but after I seen our van I started to doubt that theory.

17. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

Good to know ! I wasn't sure if the counter balanced motors shared the same flywheel/flexplate balancing as the non-counter motors did.

Tom