Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Will work for parts.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ryan22re, Aug 21, 2006.

1. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

So I've hit a little speed bump in the build up of my rig. No cash. Officially ran out this weekend. :( Wife has cut me off (in more ways than one :crazy: ). With a new baby on the way, she has got the checking account on lock down. I tried to be "creative" with some money for parts and she busted me big time. Pretty much made it clear that I wasn't to spend any more money on the truck. Discussion basically included words like "divorce" and "child support".

What do you guys do for extra cash? Aside from running a little auto repair shop from my garage or another job, I really can't think of anything else to bring in some extra cash. Overtime is out, cracking down at work. Got any good pyramid schemes for the broke four wheeler?

I cut out all of my unneccessary spending (cigarettes, beer, take out food), but I need more than that is freeing up.

2. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Sell anything you dont use much, Guns, computers, Game systems etc

3. GotLabs

GotLabs 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dude, #2 is the fuel that feeds the desire to work on trucks, switch to 24oz there cheap. I sell stuff that I dont need/kinda dont need when I get low on funds. Yard work is always an option, everybody needs their grass trimmed.:D

4. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

I did find the "steel reserve" is only 6.53 for a 12 pack including tax. It's 6.0 on the alcohol content. I haven't given up yet. May find a way to sneak that into the buggy next time we go grocery shopping.

5. GotLabs

GotLabs 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

gotta do whatcha gotta do! I finally stooped to the nattie lights in 24's last weekend. Sucks that I dont have a coozie to fit them!:D

6. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

Dude I am a totaly tapped out college student who drinks almost every night and even I wont drink nattie light :yikes:

But yah, I'll second selling stuff. I usually keep a large supply of misc. truck parts around. Its mostly from parting out trucks and just stuff that I couldnt sell right off the batt but I do keep some stuff that I plan on using some day. What always happens is that every once in awhile I rack up a massive credit card bill and end up liquidating almost anything that isnt bolted down to pay it off. I am at this point right now lol...

7. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

I'm about a steering arm/machined knuckle and some 4" springs away from bein right there with ya.

8. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

When I run out of cash and OT at work is scarce I try and do the elbow grease stuff on my truck. Not quite as fun as bolting on cool new stuff, but almost as satisfying. I also tend to collect parts over a period of months (or longer) which is a bit more budget friendly.

Rene

9. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Oh and the ck5 classifieds help out tremendously!

10. sledheadak

sledheadak 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

i swap and trade parts and labor for parts i need.my jimmy is on 44s with soon to be installed d60/d70 and this winter th400/203/205 and i have a 10k rear and 12k front winches for it. so far i have about 1600 total in it.it can be done cheap but you need patience-lots of it lol.

11. SLOK5

SLOK5 1/2 ton status

EBAY Baby ......... Only problem is you got to sell and not buy .... and OH, dont sell any of the new baby clothes ;)

12. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

scrap ....junk can be your saviour!

I've been cashing in every peice of scrap I accumulated in my yard after 20 years of "collecting"lately..its 110 dollars a ton here for junk cars,light iron is paying almost as much too!--the other day I scrapped 3 GM radiators I was saving in case my trucks needed one,but the more I looked at them,the more I decided they were no longer in decent enough shape to use...the three of them,(56 lbs worth @ 90 cents a lb!),plus a 18 lb roll of old romex cable,and two gutted out briggs lawnmower engine cases brought EIGHTY BUCKS !!..:D

My friend cashed in 3 junk mag wheels yesterday,and got 39 dollars for them!..one guy I know junked a cracked aluminum 18 wheeler rim ,and got 400 bucks for it!...:eek1:

I wish I had a lot more "junk" now,I cashed much of it in last year when it was "only" 75 bucks a ton!:doah: ..

I'm tempted to put my flatbed/crane bed back on my truck,and start looking for scrap..trouble is,1000 other guys are doing it too,and there isn't enough "junk" to go around..my friends shop junkpile gets "robbed" nightly--anything we dont want we just leave in the metal pile--its usually gone in 24 hrs or less!..:crazy:

I used to get my ass reamed for having a "junkyard" years ago, in my backyard..now its like money in the bank,and I wish I had dragged a lot more home now..:(

13. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Your child is WAY more important than a truck. Buy stuff for your child instead.

14. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I second this one. All of my parts have come from here. Of course I am willing to drive 800 or so miles to pick up free parts though. A true budget build. Most of my costs to this point is diesel fuel.