Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

willys/blazer

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by samiam, Mar 7, 2004.

1. samiam

samiam Registered Member

Looking for Newby and info about Blazer chassis and Willys tub. Began the morph this week-end and have a few ?. So far the tub is on the Blazer frame but there are a few "issues". By the way.. it looks like a mini- Grave-Digger. Way Cool..
    Sam

2. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

55willy on here has done the exact same thing, start searching for his posts /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

*cough*PICS*cough* /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

4. oatsk5

oatsk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

my friend did this swap on a 90 running gear and if i remeber right he had to mod the body mounts but he also moved the mounts up an inch or two ? what issues you having and il see if he can help ? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. samiam

samiam Registered Member

the first biggie is the radiator, the old blazer one is too wide for the grill. The old Willys one doesn't have the Automatic tranny cooling ports. And by the way, the fan is where the radiator sits.

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

electric fans, aftermarket rad? I'd think an aluminum roadster one would probably work out, narrow and tall. Though not sure about AT cooler. Big ass heat exchangers for that.

7. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

here I am, fire away on the questions. My radiator is an after market one for a 47 to 55 chevy truck 4 rom with auto cooler(running a 4 speed now). I moved the motor back 4" and still have dist. clearence at the firewall and plenty of room for a normal fan and puts the shifter in the right spot( no more under the dash for 1st and 3rd,LOL

I swapped the whole floor out so I centered the rear wheel well over the axle and trimmed to fit then bolted it back on the blazer frame. Worked great. If tomorrow was as nice as it was today should be able to snap some pics of it ghetto flexing with the cherry picker.

8. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

[​IMG]

57" fords front and rear. right around 35" to the rocker. I'll hit up my webshot folder and grab the floor pics.

PS the blue burban peeking through the door area is sitting a 4" lift and 35's /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

9. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

10. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

11. samiam

samiam Registered Member

hey thanks for responding. The Blazer is coming along. What do you think about increasing the cowl by 10"? It kind of messes with the look but it seems like a easy fix. I only have 10 more weekends before my anual 4-wheel trip. This year its Moab and I have to be ready.

12. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

Use a short water pump and it will give you a little more clearance. You can also cut out the fire wall to get some distributor clearance to move the engine back a little. Another thing you can do is trim some of the metal from the back of the grill to get the radiator moved forward an inch or two.

13. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

like stretch it 10" longer? I was thinking that when I did it cause I have another hood and fenders, but it messes up the taper of the front.
    I have a short pump on mine and I cut the grill out as far I could to get the radiator as far forwards as I could, plenty of room for both now and a normal fan if I wanted.(taurus electric to be able to turn it off if I'm deep to not kick up water)

14. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

what year is your wagon? I'm wondering what style of grill you have

15. samiam

samiam Registered Member

I never knew they made a short water pump. good idea.

16. samiam

samiam Registered Member

The Willys is a 62. So far the only trimming has been at the rear under the tailgate. The Blazer frame fits between the holes where the bumper brackets were. The Blazer has a 3" lift so mine looks about as tall as yours.While it does look cool Im thinking of lowering it a little. Im running 35"BFG Muds so its a climb to get into. Guess I will rethink the cowl idea. So by moving the motor back you only had to reconfig the shafts?

17. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

If i remember right, his front driveshaft is longer than his rear now from moving the engine back

18. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

the shafts became the same length, I'm running a 465-205. But my front end is also pushed forward by using the ford springs.

and I'm acually running a long pump.I'v got a reverse rotation one on since I have a serp. set up on there now. I was only like 2" off from fitting a normal fan in there when I first put the radiator in, so I moved it back 4 since the holes were there and I have room to run a normal fan (not the 1" fex fans,LOL) I trimmed the grill out as far as I could and it's a world of difference.
    the first radiator I was gonna use was a 454 4 core out of these years chevy's but I like the idea of having the right lights and right radiator in there.

19. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    . The Blazer has a 3" lift so mine looks about as tall as yours.While it does look cool Im thinking of lowering it a little. Im running 35"BFG Muds so its a climb to get into.

[/ QUOTE ]
    That pic is a 2" body lift, blazer floor(2" gained there) and 7" suspenion.... Clearing 38.5's ,now that a climb to get into.LOL

20. samiam

samiam Registered Member

So do you keep the 6' ladder on top or where? I did some more measures and I think I have to move the motor back 9.5" ! Did I mention it has a th350 and np 203 ? Have I created a monster that just wont come together? Am concidering moving the motor back 4" and the cowl extention going to 5.5".... just a guess... any ideas? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif