Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Willys pickup tech

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by b454rat, Jan 3, 2007.

1. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I can get a Willys pickup for dirt cheap. Thought about taking all the running gear out of the 89 and putting it in the Willys. But did some searching, and I think with full width axles and 40" boggers would put the tires clear past the body. I can't find any "hardcore" trucks out there done with full width, tires,etc. Can't even find what the stock WMS on the stupid things.

2. willymonster

willymonster 1/2 ton status

do the willys!!! i put rockwells and 49 inch iroks under mine . although i guess your right the tires dont really fit under the :D but if you were concerned with fender coverage i think a waggy front axle would fit nicely. you can get one at picknpull for about 130.oo bucks .

3. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

I used to have a '56 P'up. Front & rear are different WMS's.
    According to Ackerson's "Standard Catalog of 4x4's; 1945-1993" (ISBN 0-87341-203-6) the front tread width is 56in and the rear is 63.5in from 1947 thru 1965
    Those frames are really marginal for any re-power project. I see a fair number of those bodies swapped onto other chassis.

4. muddermilitia

muddermilitia ThatTrazerGuy GMOTM Winner

5. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

if you're that concerned I'll buy the willy's from you then you won't have to worry about it. I've been looking for a willy's to use for ever!!:bow:

6. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Dang man thats what I am doing right now helping a freind build a 52 wagon.

About the frame, I hate to say this but they fit pretty darn good on a 78-79 bronco frame. I don't like the way they sit on a chevy frame.

On the project I am working on we are just beefing the stock frame boxing in the whole front area adding crossmembers and the such, we also extended the frame up front a little to allow the use of some springs I had laying around. If we would have been able to work on it tonight I we might have had the springs on and an axle underneath it. Oh well hopefully next week.

We are using 3/4 ton axles. Keep in touch I will let you know how everything goes.