Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

win xp is a bunch of crap, who uses linux or ? what are other OS's like ?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by R72K5, Sep 11, 2003.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

win xp is a bunch of crap, who uses linux or ? what are other OS\'s like ?

so who on here has gotten fed up enough with Micro$oft bull crap mainly regarding Win XP- and has started using a different OS such as linux ?
    im curious as to how linux runs and what its like, i wish i knew someone running linux so i can see what it looks like,
    how else can i check it out ?
    im tired of this XP crap, it used to be great, but man not anymore..

pretty sad when you have a hell of a time activating an OEM copy of XP that you bought and have receipt for, M$ is a crock of [I love Jeeps] [I love Jeeps]

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

Re: win xp is a bunch of crap, who uses linux or ? what are other OS\'s like ?

<font color="green"> XP is crap, I put it on 2 of my machines so I could see what it's like. It's slow and annoying even after disabling the Playskool Interface, the computers are MUCH slower than they were when I was running w2k. I have used Linux but have nnot put it on any of my home machines. There are some Linux GUIs out there that feel alot like windows, the problem is if you want to run games or anything than you're going to be SOL, since windows games will not run on a Linux box. I'll probably put Linux on one of my XP machines and put w2k back on the other machine that I use every day. </font>

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    <font color="green"> XP is crap, I put it on 2 of my machines so I could see what it's like. It's slow and annoying even after disabling the Playskool Interface, the computers are MUCH slower than they were when I was running w2k. I have used Linux but have nnot put it on any of my home machines. There are some Linux GUIs out there that feel alot like windows, the problem is if you want to run games or anything than you're going to be SOL, since windows games will not run on a Linux box. I'll probably put Linux on one of my XP machines and put w2k back on the other machine that I use every day. </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

the games thing is cool for me since i only use puter for internet browsing, i was searching online and see that apparently there are several versions of linux ? http://www.li.org/getlinux.php

which linux would be best for home computer use only ?
    or ?
    id rather even have my windows 98 back, but i cant find my product key for the cd though, hmm.. but i do have a copy of it with code on tape and i have a working tape drive, but still... hmm...

very tempting..
    then atleast i could hopefulyl get to my second HDD finally, its not NTFS,

also what does linux run on ? 16, 32, ntfs ? and whats the OS cost ?

thanks

4. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Linux is supposed to be free, and will run on just about any machine these days. There are lots of versions out there, some you pay for basically to get the support of the company that wrote the kernal (Redhat or Mandrake, for instance), others are totally free, like FreeBSD. There's another one out there that is suposed to be real good but I'm blanking on the name... I think I have a copy of Redhat 7.0, I can burn a copy of it for you if you can't find a source somewhere else. That's the beauty of an open source OS, there's no such thing as pirating. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif </font>

5. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I just loaded redhat 9 on a machine at home (after using redhat 2.7 for a while). If I can get it to play nice with my Microsoft-product-based server, maybe I'll migrate my main family machine (running XP pro) to it. Nothing we use requires window specifically, it's just the easiest for my wife to use.

I agree XP is way slower than win2k (Shaggy, nice: "Playskool interface" - Cracked me up!!). But there are a few features of XP I like. None that I can't live without or get add-on software to make work on a win2k box.

I'm running XP Pro on my laptop, 2.6ghz/512mb, nd it's a dog at times. I'm a big vbscripter, though, and this thing runs scripts like lightning.
    My old laptop running win2k on a 1.13ghz/256Mb, upgraded to winxp just before I retired it, actually ran faster as win2k than the current machine at winxp.

I've noticed linux's interface runs a little slower than windows on an identical machine, though. That's and more complex software installs, so far been the only drawback I've found with my linux experiences.

6. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

what are the specs on the computer that runs slow.

Ive been in computers, building, fixing, for close to 10 years. Linux is crap. I hate to break this to you. But fact is fact. Benchmarks or 1000 forum monkeys may disagree...but i would never advise someone to switch from windows to linux.

I code also, php and c++. its not like im just making this up. Ive had redhat, suse, qnx...ive been there. Im talking from expirence.

As far as win2k vs XP...i like xp cause its new, haha...thats about it really. 2k is old and its losing support for alot of newer software.

If your machine is slow with xp, perhaps there is something wrong. There are win2k machines at work that have 1.3ghz p3's and my old 800celeron with xp pro would run twice as fast. Now ive got a 2.4p4 w/ HT and dual channel 512 ddr400 ram...and my computer boots up in less than 40 seconds...power on to desktop. get a win2k machine to do that.

7. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

linux if totally free

http://www.linuxiso.org/
    take your pick from there...its the CD...the plastic...that costs money in the stores. you can get linux help for free anywhere online...

As far as getting your win98 key...they are a dime a dozen...search for it in google.

8. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

i found a thread on an Os tech site that is full of tips of mods to do to XP to make it run faster, and it all works great, im glad i found it

but anyways, XP used ot be great when it was first out and now with M$ getting this activation crap going more and more its becoming more of PIA than anything else, i wish i would have just stuck with 98 SE at this point, i frequently reinstall my OS and when you need to activate- in which ends up being every time for me- it becomes a big hassle and now i am stuck because they say and believe that i already have my XP on another machine and they are pissing me off and wont activate it on my puter and this is my only puter, they now have upgraded enough to know exactly what harsdware configuration you are running and they will know when you change anything and if you change enough it will cause you to have to reactivate XP, basically im out my 120 bucks i spent for this OEM XP CD and key that i bought locally last spring because M$ say i cant activate two, but i only have one,

they suck, a bunch of crap,

i miss the ease of 98 now. i dont care if newer drivers are in the XP, that can be dealt with by using software that comes with anything you buy such as DSL modems and laser mice and webcams and digicams, so forth. big deal,

9. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    linux if totally free

http://www.linuxiso.org/
    take your pick from there...its the CD...the plastic...that costs money in the stores. you can get linux help for free anywhere online...

As far as getting your win98 key...they are a dime a dozen...search for it in google.

[/ QUOTE ]

did not know,

thats interesting/cool, hmm..

i think i know wherre my 98 SE key is.. it was on the back of the gateway tower i smashed last fall.....

wonder if gateway can help me with that one ? heh
    oh wlel, doesnt matter, this is a compaq now and but i have an OEM 98 SE CD though, but key is i dunno where, need to dig around

anyone know ?

10. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Specs on the slow XP boxes you mean? They vary; 900mhz, 800, 1ghz, 2ghz, 3ghz. All with minimum 128mb, but typically 256mb ram. Most of the xp boxes were win2k originally (not upgraded, new installs), and were generally faster at everyday office tasks before the XP install.
    I max all installs for performance, and cut unnecessary services, features, etc.
    Every XP install I've seen has had random momentary lags or pauses, installs I've done, store demo machines, even at an XP seminar, like it needs to stop and catch up with itself. In my experiences, Win2k could run smooth all day without a hiccup. My boss is just asked me the other day if my xp machine ever just randomly stops and ignores the user input for a minute, then seems to wake up and unload the keyboard/mouse buffer with a vengeance...

Linux is slow, too, but like you and Shaggy noted, it's primary appeal to me is that I don't have to pay for it to get a legal copy, and it can do many of the things I need to do with a computer. Cripes, if I get homesick, there's a kickass terminal client for windows TS (Although that client IS faster then MS's client's so far).

If you write code for M$ products, using MS product's calls, I would expect your opinion to lean in favor windows anyway. I don't mean that in any bad or negative way either, just what I'd expect.

Bottom line, opinion and preference. If I rolled out Linux in my office with all the same functionality, my users would get thier job's done all the same. In a week, they'd forget windows was different. They might even enjoy the thought of bucking MS... I'm SURE they'd enjoy the built in IM client... If I had the Linux knowledge to support that kind of deployment, I'd do it (well, after they made an AD connector)...

11. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Re: win xp is a bunch of crap, who uses linux or ? what are other OS\'s like

[ QUOTE ]
    and my computer boots up in less than 40 seconds...power on to desktop. get a win2k machine to do that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uhh, dude, that's pretty damn long. Mine can't be any more than 20 and my setup is almost exactly like yours. You must have about 15 programs running at startup.

12. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

[ QUOTE ]

Every XP install I've seen has had random momentary lags or pauses, installs I've done, store demo machines, even at an XP seminar, like it needs to stop and catch up with itself. In my experiences, Win2k could run smooth all day without a hiccup. My boss is just asked me the other day if my xp machine ever just randomly stops and ignores the user input for a minute, then seems to wake up and unload the keyboard/mouse buffer with a vengeance...

[/ QUOTE ]

i dont ever have that problem unless ive not rebooted in almost a week, which happens easily around here. and i run my puter hard, usually have enough windows open to have three rows of them at bottom of my screen, sometimes around 25or 20 windows if im searchin internet for something. never any problems, and ive only got 126k ram and 400celeron

havent killed it yet,. killed my 650 athlon finally though. after three years plus countless OS reinstalls.

wish i could see what linux Os looks like on a machine, hmm, so redhat is home OS of linux, or ?

thanks

13. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Redhat is just another Linux distribution. There is also Slackware, Gentoo, Mandrake, Debian, Caldera, etc. I recommend Slackware if you're pretty good with computers, but it requires quite a bit of setup. The only major drawback with Linux is that it doesn't always work with all your hardware. Linux really hates my printer. I also had quite a time getting it to recognize my soundcard, but it finally worked. Linux is so much faster and more efficient than Windows there is really no comparison. It's filesystem (if you use the Reiserfs) NEVER gets fragmented, so disk work is crazy fast. There is a reason almost every major server uses Linux or UNIX. I haven't seen Windows Server 2003 in action yet, but I'm sure all the hype surrounding is nothing but hype indeed. Too bad I didn't know about this earlier, or I would have helped you set up Linux when I was at your place one of those times!

14. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Redhat is just another Linux distribution. There is also Slackware, Gentoo, Mandrake, Debian, Caldera, etc. I recommend Slackware if you're pretty good with computers, but it requires quite a bit of setup. The only major drawback with Linux is that it doesn't always work with all your hardware. Linux really hates my printer. I also had quite a time getting it to recognize my soundcard, but it finally worked. Linux is so much faster and more efficient than Windows there is really no comparison. It's filesystem (if you use the Reiserfs) NEVER gets fragmented, so disk work is crazy fast. There is a reason almost every major server uses Linux or UNIX. I haven't seen Windows Server 2003 in action yet, but I'm sure all the hype surrounding is nothing but hype indeed. Too bad I didn't know about this earlier, or I would have helped you set up Linux when I was at your place one of those times!

[/ QUOTE ]

sounds nice, yeah too bad i hadnt gotten pissed enough at windows enough by the time you guys came here, hehe, or id have gone for linux, i know enough puter stuff to just get by, so id have to go with easier distribution, i just wonder how do you install linux with no CD ? download it on another HDD and burn it to CD, or ? how large is Linuz OS ? still wish i had a way to see Linux in action. does it look anything liek windows ? how is it laid out ? still use right click to pop up info and such, or ?

thanks

15. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

There are probably no less than 20 different GUI's (graphical user interfaces) for Linux. Slackware alone comes with about 7. They have many different looks to them. The one I use in Slackware is very simple and practical. You can get GUI's that look like Windows though, but if you're willing to take a little bit of time to learn a new one you'll be very pleased. As far as downloading and installing Linux, the best way to do it is download an ISO and then use a program like WinISO to burn it on a CD. You might also be able to put the files on a separate partition and run it from there but tell it to install to another partition. Probably easier to burn on a CD though.