Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

win xp pro

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by surpip, Aug 26, 2006.

1. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

so i have a *ahem* borrowed copy of xp, i had the code that allowed me to get updates
    well microsoft came out with a update that tell if you have a borrowed copy, and it shows up on my screen now
    i can still use it but would like to get rid of it, any ideas? Places to look?

2. nad

nad 1/2 ton status

You can still use the copy of Windows XP, but there is no way to get updates or Microsoft support. You can change the settings of the alert, so it doesn't keep telling you that you're using an illegal copy.

Also, if you do enough searching for 'GOOD' serials...you can actually change the serial that you're registered with, to make it seem 'legal'. If you don't know how to change your serial, just search google with "Changing serial in Windows XP". The first couple links should give you ample information on the process.

Hope this helps.

3. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

cool thanks
    any links to help with searching?
    im lazy:)

4. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

5. nad

nad 1/2 ton status

Wow, I never searched long enough to find anything like that. Now if there was only a way to make it so I could still get updates and whatnot. Before I read that link, all I did was use the actual WGA settings and changed it to "don't show me again" then just set the taskbar application to "always hide".

Thanks for finding that behemoth.

6. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

You're welcome !!;)

7. SkysTheLimit

SkysTheLimit 1/2 ton status

The real trick is to find a copy of XP that is from a corporate select licensing program and matching Key. no registration nastiness, no activation nastiness.

Got any friends that works for a big enough company to have volume licensing?

8. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

My sister-in-law works for a Big East university and her former b/f installed a "copy" on her home PC. That WGA popup was driving her crazy. Bottom line - corporate licensing may not always prevent it.

9. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I might know where there is one.... :rolleyes:

10. nad

nad 1/2 ton status

Hmm, so that way you could just use a different serial, and it would recognize it as being part of the company group?

I did some searching, and found many patches to make the updating work, but I couldn't seem to get any of them to work. I think Microsoft updates their WGA system frequently, which makes patches go out of date very quickly.

If anyone else comes across anything, post up. Thanks.

11. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

ya my dad works for a big company that makes processors:)
    ill have to get his serial

12. nad

nad 1/2 ton status

That would be cool. Especially if you 'shared' with the brotherhood ;)

13. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

naw
    wouldent want to get him fired

14. SkysTheLimit

You need the appropriate CD and key to go with it. If it is volume / select licensing, it will NOT prompt you to activate it. Purpose being, large companies with many workstations image their machines and deploy software electronically. There's no way they will put up with activating each copy each time it is deployed. Same deal with all MS products. Office, visio, operating systems, etc etc.

15. SLOK5

SLOK5 1/2 ton status

Umm maybe BUY a copy from www.newegg.com You can save money and buy the update cd. Its the full version just as to see a former copy of windows. ....even a windows 98 cd will work for the up grade. I found this is the only way to go to avoid headaches for upgrades. And do you really need PRO? Home edition is the same just not as many ports available and slight difference. If your just running it for you personal use get the XP Home for 70.00-95.00 and be done. Last copy I bought of ebay but was NEW unopened for $75.00 ...

16. SkysTheLimit

yeah, that's the one thing most people who are otherwise cool wouldn't release.

Me for example. If my company's key got out and get flagged by MS has being in the wild, it'd be a major pain in the neck. Even if i wasn't caught, that's 17,000 machines that the end user support team would have to redeploy. Not my problem but if they're busy doing that, people are going to start calling me with problems I don't have time to deal with either. My team may even get put on the project and I hate dealing with desktop crap.

17. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

So why do you even need to update with that MS BS stuff .Mostly all MS updates are is a way for MS to catch piarated "Ahem" ERR "borrowed" software. I.m still running SP1 stuff because I cant update bcuse of problems that have to do with my AV. Computer runs fine never had any problems running the orginal XP without updates.
    So get your "patch", hoist the Jolly Rodger and join o'l Capt'n Thunder. The scourage of the www. If that scurvy dog governor Bill lays to our course we'll give him a thunderous brodside, Fill his belly with lead, and send the lubber and hid ship the HMS Microsoft to davy jones locker to feed the fishes ARRRRR!

18. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Thief..........
    Bill Gates is loosing money now.

19. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

I'm heartbroken ... :laugh: