Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

win98 explorer.exe error (anyone with win98 can help)

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by BranndonC, Jan 9, 2006.

1. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

So i went to fix my dads friends computer last night. It boots all the way to when windows is loading, then i get some sort of explorer.exe error. then I have to reset it. It does the same thing in safe mode. I searched google with another computer in the house for explorer.exe so I could just replace the file, get windows started, and install antivirus to see whats up. I couldnt find the file anywhere so I ask here 3 questions.

Think its a virus that is on the computer?

Is there an Anti Virus that will fit on a floppy? His cd rom doesnt work

Can someone here with win 98 copy their explorer.exe to a zip file and send it to be via www.yousendit.com? Thanks :)

Oh and you experts, do you think replacing the file will get me where I want?

2. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Didn't know people still used 98...

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Something else is causing explorer to crash . Explorer.exe is the windows shell :

Definitions of Explorer.exe on the Web:
    [SIZE=-1]Windows Explorer is an application that is part of modern versions of the Microsoft Windows operating system that provides a graphical user interface for accessing the file systems. In brief, this is the component of the operating system that is displayed on the monitor and enables the user to control the computer. ...
    [/SIZE]
    I would serious tell them to upgrade to at least windows 2000 , preferrably windows xp .

4. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

i know explorer.exe is the main windows file, but it can still be replaced, an d a virus could cause the problems. The only way he'll upgrade is if i download the software, drive the hour out there and install it. and i dont feel like that right now :)

5. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

I love 98. SE that is. Does he have any original software? 98 came with a bootable floppy. And/or he should have made one at the time of install. He/you need to try a couple more times into safe mode. If no success, I would go into BIOS and select the default settings and see if it made a difference. I have seen a harddrive going bad do that. I will tell you a trick I learned here. Make sure the HD is at room temp first. Put it in the freezer for about 2 hours. I read that trick on a thread here and I put a known bad HD in the freezer for a couple of hours and it booted when I plugged it back in! I would think of it as a last resort, but it did work for me the one time I tried it.

Also, you can plug in a generic cdrom with a 98 cd in it and if bios is set to boot from cd it will go into it. I had an old comp that I reloaded 98 onto about a dozen times over its life. Don't ask why.
    There are several other things it can be though. Like: a bad mem stick, or MB going out, or processor issue, etc. I had a bad vid card once that did it also. Don't know how or why. Just make sure the fans are working on the processor and power supply before you do anything real time consuming. Or ship it to me and I'll fix it for ya. I have a couple of unused 98SEs around still.