Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

WinALDL help

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by southernspeed, May 27, 2005.

1. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I'm trying to get an idea of how the fueling is on my new engine. Still treating it gently as I've got less than 200 miles on it still.
    When driving at a steady throttle at 2000, 2500, 3000 rpm the rich flag keeps coming on and going off so I guess the ECM is coping ok with the fueling as I believe it is trying to adjust itself all the time.
    But how do I tell if it's coping with hard throttle runs?Do I just have to look for excessive knock counts or is there some other data field that shows what's going on?
    Thanks for any advice. :)

2. Wingnutt

Wingnutt 1/2 ton status

The main causes for a rich flag are, O2 sensor wacky, EGR or IAC goofing up, MAF sensor hooked up wrong or not working properly working, or larger injectors without correcting for them.

During steady throttle settings, your BLM should be hanging around 128. WOT runs, or with enough throttle to activate the power enrichment mode, BLM readings should drop into the low one teens or slightly lower. Do a bit of data logging and look at how the BLM reacts to RPM and TPS voltage.

3. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I tune for full throttle by hooking up my scanner and watching knock counts on WOT runs. I advance timing and up fuel pressure till I get good performance with no detonation. My 89 runs all around best at 14 PSI and 4* advance(with bypass disconnected.) Block Learn is around 113 at WOT but that is at 5000 feet elevation. I tune with a G-tech so I can tell if a change made makes a diference in real performance.
    You tuning will have to be diferent at lower ele.

You shouldn't be getting a rich flag at stedy cruise. there is a problem somewhere. Check the stuff Wingnutt said also check for vacume leaks ECT.
    Is your EGR hooked up?

4. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Just incase anyone else needs to know this, this is from an email I got from Jonus himself (the guy who wrote the program) :)

"The rich flag should work as you describe. In closed loop the ECM is hunting for the O2 sensor switchover point. Add fuel until it is rich, then reduce fuel until it is lean, then start over."

5. mountain4x4

mountain4x4 Registered Member

At WOT, you need to look at timing, knock counts, and air/fuel ratio. Yes, a wb o2 gauge, with the wb o2 sensor placed before the cat, is ideal. Otherwise, you can be correcting for knock due to excessive timing by running it rich. The AFR on a WOT run should be about 12.5:1, if there is knock, either get better fuel, or decrease timing until it does not knock. Many people tend to hide bad tuning or compensate for low octane gas by running it rich to avoid detonation. On a motor with too much compression for the grade of fuel being run, it is the only way to effectively compensate besides water/alcohaul injection, but that is probably not the case here. You will get the most power by making sure your AF ratio is correct.

In closed loop operation, it just needs to be close enough you arnt going outside the parameters of what the computer can adjust for. I'm not sure if the computer youre dealing with has fuel trims, but the trim is the best way I've found to get closed loop operation correct, also check that the timing is doing what you want, and the advance curve matches up, like curving a distributor.