Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

WinALDL....UPDATE: new question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by heavy4x4, May 12, 2004.

1. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Well, I'm getting a laptop ( /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif), so now I'll be able to check out what my computer is getting from the sensors using the WinALDL software from here.

I have a couple of questions though for those that have used it. I'm sure I'll learn how to use the program as I go, but my main question is in building the cord. It gives several configurations (with and without certain resistors) and I'd like to know which configuration you used that will also work for my '90 burb. And, did you build the cord using items that can all be found at RadioShack or a CompUsa store? (I have the ability and know-how to do this but want to know where you got the parts from)

And finally...for the numerous numerous readings this program will give me. What should I be looking for? Again, this is probably a learn-as-you go thing, but any help would be great. I've got all the service manuals for my truck. Should I be able to compare all the values this program spits out at me with the values buried somewhere in these books?

Thanks for your help. I can't wait until I can play "auto technician." No more of this "I think the O2 sensor is the problem" crap. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

2. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Re: WinALDL

I built the cable with local parts from Fry's, but Radio Shack or any electronics store should do fine. I added the "optional" stuff too since I wanted a cable that would work on any ECM, and some require the "trigger", though my truggy does not.

As for what it all means, get a book called "How to tune and modify Chevrolet Fuel Injection" by Ben Watson ( ISBN 0-7603-0422-X ). That was recommended to me when I started fooling with the TBI in my truggy, and it will answer all your questions...

3. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the book suggestion. I'll check that out. Those are the only kind of books I care to read. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

4. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

Buy 2 or 3 of everything. I decided I was going to build the cable tonight so I went to radio shack and got the stuff, I just tried to build a cable 30 min ago. I snapped the center leg off the transistor when I went to take it out to the truck, so I went back inside and pillaged the kids 200-in-1 learning lab for a new one. Well long story short if you try to resolder /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif a serial plug the odds of you melting the plastic and knocking the pins out of whack are pretty good. So tommorow I'm off to RadioShack again.

I think I'm going to try the solder-less serial plug, or at least get the small vice things with aligator clips to hold the crap while I work. Oh yea I left my glasses at work which didn't help much (funny how after 35 years youfind out you need glasses then when they give them to you, you cant see anymore /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif)

Oh yea total price for round one: 12.95 and that included some wire and solder (both of which I found in the toolbox when I got the iron out) /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Any sites with explanations on how to make the cable?

6. BadDog

7. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

customefis.com sells the cable for like $35. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

-Dan

8. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

I bought all my parts at Radio Shack ~$6.00 for everthing. After I tested it once I filled the serial plug with hot glue to keep all the parts safe. I have a 1991 k5 and had to use the 12v to trigger aldl mode, but everything else was just like the website shows.

I finally ran wires from the aldl connector and put a socket in the plastic cowl around the four-wheel-drive shift lever. Maybe I'll take a few pictures if you want to see.

9. bigburban383

bigburban383 1/2 ton status

Can you do any sort of programming with OBD1 and this program?

10. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

WinALDL doesn't allow you to actually make changes. You HAVE to get into PROM burning to do this, and WinALDL doesn't do this.

WinALDL basically lets you see what the system is doing. It's an analytical program.

11. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Sure, if you could snap some pictures that would be great. I can kind of picture what you did with the cowl thing, but I'd still like to see it.

So, for the wire, you included everthing that the diagram shows (all the resistors and whatnot)?

12. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

I finaly got everything done last night and drug it out to the truck at midnight....You know that little plug on the lap-top...its a monitor plug /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif I was so pissed at myself the wife quietly snuk inside and went to bet without a word /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Any how I borrowed the IT laptop from work so I can play this weekend. If everything works OK I might get the USB/Serial cable and try it with my laptop.

Oh yea when I looked at the 93 Suburban the E pin was empty on the ALDL plug /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif along with about half the holes. On one website I read about the M pin (which is under the A)...can I use this one or will it screw somthing up?

13. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

Here you go. I put a little 5 pin din connector on my cable and a socket in the plastic piece.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I used everything this schematic shows except R3 and R4.

[​IMG]

14. BadDog

Very nice idea. I might just branch off my cable to do that. But I want the raw leads so I can use it on any ALDL. Or just get an extra plug with the raw leads hanging off it, yeah, that's better.

I looked everywhere for a real plug, but I just could not find one anywhere. Anyone hava a source?

15. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Thanks, that's exactly what I wanted to know.

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif I like that idea of a plug-in rather than sticking raw wires into the aldl outlet. I take it you just tapped into the wires running to the aldl thing-a-magig?

16. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I've been looking for the other end of the ALDL connector, no luck. Someone must make them, all the scanners have them, just have to find out who makes them for companies like autoxray, etc.

I would imagine though, as popular as the ALDL cable is, that someone would have found a source already. Have you checked thirdgen.org forums for this?

17. BadDog

Nope, mostly just asking around and looking at electronics books. Never really got terribly motivated by it, but that's probably a good idea...

18. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Re: WinALDL.....UPDATE: new question

New question:

Without looking at the back of my laptop, I went out and bought the stuff I'd need to make the cable. Well, I got the stuff home and /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif...looks like it's not going to work. Crap!

Here's the connection on the back of my laptop:
    [​IMG]

And here's the connector I bought that the schematic calls for:
    [​IMG]

The connector is the right size but there's the wrong number and configuration of pins? Any ideas?
    I think I may e-mail the site I linked above in my first post (if I even can) and ask the guy if there's a way to make mine work. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

19. ncbloodhound

ncbloodhound 1/2 ton status

That plug on the back of your computer is for a monitor. See the little square below it. Look for another plug. If you have a newer laptop, it may not have a serial plug. I have seen newer laptops without them.

20. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif DOH!

Well, here's the whole back of my laptop:
    [​IMG]
    /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif