Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Winch baby!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by skelly1, Jan 13, 2003.

1. skelly1

skelly1 1/2 ton status

So I can buy a bumper from 4WPW for 279 that will hold a Warn winch. What size winch is going to get the job done? 8000lb??? For around $600. Tempting, and the shipping is free so I won't even have to go into that arswhole place.

2. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

I'd go with a 9,000lb winch or more. Just because our trucks tend to be some big suckers. That extra 1,000lbs of pulling power can really help you out if you do own something that is a pig. I'd consider Clemson 4 Wheel Drive for the winch. They have good prices, free shipping and being out of CA no sales tax... I dunno about the bumpers if they have the same deals though...

3. skelly1

skelly1 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the website tip. I hate 4WPW. If I want to buy some lights or a lightbar, or some rancho's for a F150 with a body lift, those morons know exactly what I am looking for, but anything technical and it's like asking a 2 year old to tie his shoes.

4. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I don't know about you but I would like my winch to actualy pull my truck if it's stuck.
    The rule of thumb is 2x the weight of your truck, so I went with 2x5500=11000 so I got the 12000lbs winch.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    I was stuck this week end with a 4800lbs truck and a guy with a 9000lbs winch tried to pull me out but it wouldn't move so he had to double line it and it took forever to pull me out.

5. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

I think it depends on how much you are going to use it, with a snatch block you can double the capacity and get 16000 lbs which is enough for most situations. Petersens compared a Warn 8274 against the new 15000 lbs Warn winch and even when using a snatch block the 8274 had more line speed than the 15000 lbs model so unless you are planning on pulling a semi a good 8000 lbs. winch should be enough. Just my $0.02 .

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

The rule of thumb is 1.5 times not two times. =8250.
    9000lb is plenty. For anything but mud line speed is more important than pull power. That's why the Warn 8275 is so highly regarded even though it's only rated 8k. I have seen a 8274 out perform a Mile Marker rated 11.5K on several occasions.
    Most of the stucks I have been in took less than half the capacity of the winch for about 5 seconds to get free. Once I was free my issue was that as long as I kept moving I didn't need the winch. Well if you got a slow worm drive winch then your having to stop so you don't run over the cable. Then your stuck again. I think the HS9500 is one of the best winches for us. If on the rare occasion it's not enough pulling power then you can double line and have 18,000lb of pull.
    My last stuck was a New years. I rolled a bead in a deep V rut with the the rear axle dragging the ground the slder on the driverside on the the ground up hill out of a hole. My HS9500 pulled me out no problem with only about 60 feet of cable out so it was only capable of about 6,000lb pull on the second maybe thrird wrap. The pull is rated on the last wrap on the drum.
    Even with Warn 8,000's when I was stuck good it was able to recover my truck. The Jeep that was pulling me with his 8000lb winch didn't run into the problem of the winch not having it but that the truck was slidding towards me. They ended up strapping 4 jeeps together to get enough traction. They were on mud as well and not enough cable to strap off to a tree.
    If your into mud then yes bigger is better and worm drive is the way to go. that's long hard pulls.
    Figure out what type of wheeling you do. If it's trail and rock then go with the line speed. If it's mostly mud go with the line pull and LONG cable.
    Anther thing I have concidered doing is going down to about a 75ft cable. I can't remeber the last time I needed more than about 50-60ft of cable out. Having a shorter cable will mean that you get down to the lower wraps guicker and once you do get free it will be quicker to respool. Don't cut the old cable if it's in good shape. keep it in the truck so on that rare occasion you do need to go 100 feet away then you can use it as an extension. You can also use a strap if your only coming up 10-15 feet short.

7. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Well Grim, what you say seems logical, but I experienced it first hand, and since I run, mud snow, rocks and everything in between, I opted for bigger.
    This week end when I was on a snow run, I wasn't stuck, I just blew a driveline which whiped and broke the tranny, and still the 9000lbs ramsey and warns all 5 of them were tried, noe could pull me alone and it was a 5% slope up.
    When 2 hooked on to me it worked and when they used the snatch block and double lined it it also worked for 2 reasons they got more cable out and they doubled the pulling.
    Now since in my runs it's always tight and rarely do we have the room to spool out 50-60 feet of cable I would rather have more power so a 12000lbs.
    Like you said the rating is on the first layer so if you are 30 feet away you are on the 3rd or 4th layer so you are about 4000lbs with a 9000lbs winch.
    Just my 2 cents.
    ANother thing to consider when you do mud, the mud that is on your truck and the suction that the mud can pull on your truck mandates bigger winches

8. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    ANother thing to consider when you do mud, the mud that is on your truck and the suction that the mud can pull on your truck mandates bigger winches

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true. One trick we use is to shove in some Hi-lift jack handles behind the tires. Releases some of the sucktion and makes a big difference.

9. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

totally with Grim on theis one...my 8274 is spectacular. its an underrated winch IMHO, and when you get real sruck, just whip out the snatch block, theres plenty of cable on it, and its still fast. thats a good $.03
    Ryan

10. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

Yeah my vote is with the 8274-50 also. Those winches are amazing.

I've seen winches from 8000 to 12000 lb ratings stalled out in all different situations and vehicle sizes. You can always find a way to bury a vehicle beyond any winch's capabilities so there's no "ultimate" winch to get. The 8274 is a great "all around" winch cause it's fast and has a lot of line to use a snatch block. It also has a longer duty cycle than most winches at max load.

11. 90K5Blazer

90K5Blazer Registered Member

My question is, what is the part# for the bumber for your 90? I called and they said they didn't have anything for our 90's! I want to change my bumbers but 4x4 iron is a little pricy for me right now. However, there bumpers ROCK!!!

12. skelly1

skelly1 1/2 ton status

13. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

I also wouldnt say 9k is plenty. Depends on what you do. Mud.. no way. I wouldnt go under 10k for serious mud running. 12k preferably.

And the only bonus on the 15k is the cable thickness. But, it is also a negative since it shortens up the length quite a bit.

Ken H.