Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Winch bolt patterns?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dremu, Apr 23, 2004.

1. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

So I'm playing with this ca. 1980 hidden winch and kit I got from Desert Rat -- thanks Doug! -- and I notice it mounts front and back, unlike, apparently, any other winch in the free world.

All modern and normal winches, I gather, mount via a square bolt pattern about 4.5 x 10.5".

This guy, however, has four bolts, each front and back, in a straight line. Which is fine for me; once I've fixed the electrical issues and cleaned up the bracketry, I can make it work.

I'm just curious if this is some completely obscure winch, i.e. a totally propietary thing, or if there is some other "standard" in the winch world.

Ideally, I could make available CAD drawings of the hidden winch mounting kit, which would then be useful to someone else /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif If all the winches in the world, save this one, mount in this square pattern, this bracketing wouldn't be much good /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I'll call Ramsey on Monday, to see if this is some specialty winch or what, but by the time I thought of it today they were closed (the gall, I tell you!)

It's a Ramsey model 2001, 8000# first layer pull. More paperwork is on the Blazer page of the brochures site.

When I get the damn thing mounted, I'll post some pix... the winch fits behind the stock bumper and the fairlead mounts just about where the license plate goes, so it's stealthy cool. And prolly has a better approach angle than that Warn Classic monstrosity I have on there now /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

-- A

2. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I've seen all sorts of different mounting patterns. I once ran across a worm-gear winch that was like 11"x5.5" and it had the holes on three sides (all but the forward-neutral-reverse selector side) and they were tapped.

The 10"x4.5" using 3/8" bolts is the most common because the "recreational" winch use market has a small diameter (usually 2.5-3") and short length (around 9") drum so this is convenient. Usually you want 80% of your cable spooled out so you can get on the last wrap of cable and get the maximum pull while making the winch work less so having a "small" drum that only holds 90-120' of cable is convenient. Meanwhile, the cable gets beat to piss. But I digress.