Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Winch bumper completed- pics

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by odoa3, Oct 26, 2004.

1. odoa3

odoa3 1/2 ton status

Finally got my winch bumper built. My buddy Don did a great job on the welding- and teaching me how to build one. Started with a Warn winch box off a 3/4 ton Suburban.
    [​IMG]
    Cut some 4x2 channel iron, bent it to get the right angle. Level is in pic to show that we decided to actually measure and stuff- decided to actually keep the redneck engineering to a minumim this time.
    [​IMG]
    Dang both sides match! We did something right.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Got Don's wife to paint the raised "W" -
    [​IMG]
    Final bolts going in.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    With the 12,000 installed-
    [​IMG]

Just have to put the plate on top and maybe add some horns to wrap the cable around rather than spooling it in every time. Man it feels great to have this done. Nice to see a winch on the K5 finally. /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

2. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

that looks awesome! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

3. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Simple yet effective, I like it. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

4. big blazin sc

big blazin sc Registered Member

/forums/images/graemlins/peace.gifI love it odoa, i was wanting to do something along those lines. I was wondering if you no were i could get a warn winch box like that. thank you, ben

5. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

Looks good man /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I lived in Anchorage for 4 years, just left in 02'. Do you ever got to "Coots"?

6. odoa3

odoa3 1/2 ton status

Ben, My dad bought a Suburban with the winch and warn winch bumper on it. He didn't want it /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif so I got both for the fair price of $0 /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif The Warn had some cheesy bolt on wings on it. They would have bent hitting a shopping cart! I have a Warn Classic bumper on my dd F250 and it is way stouter. You might try giving Warn a call and see if they will sell just the box- don't know if they will, but worth a try. The classic is around $400 to buy. Truthfully, with a good saw, welder and grinder you could make the same with some plate. I can take some pic's and send them to you if you want to go that way.

About three years ago I slid through a light and punted a Toyota with my F250. Damage on the driver's side wing of the classic -my buddy took it, straightened out the wing then narrowed it and put it on his 66 Bronco. So, if you can find a winch bumper a little mangled don't discount that as long as the box is straight.

Stallion- I have been to Coots a couple times. Too crowded for me. Plus I am not much for bars. The bouncers killed a guy in there about a year ago. Held him in a position he couldn't breathe and he suffocated. They said he was struggling so they wouldn't let him up. Jeez, struggling because you can't breathe. Imagine that!

7. big blazin sc

big blazin sc Registered Member

Yeh thaks, some pictures would be really good. thanx, Ben