Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

winch bumper is started

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sapper, Aug 20, 2003.

1. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Well this is for the winch (that i still dont have), for now its going to have 2x3 square going off both sides and some diamond plate covering the center, if i ever find a tube bender i will cut the tube off and have something bent up for it, hopefully it will be done Saturday and get painted. The main reason I'm building it is so that i have recovery points on the front of the truck, but wanted to do something i could keep for awhile, hence a place for a winch i dont have /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

lookin good...hows your approach angle gonna be? more pics... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

How far is that sticking out? Looks like about 14". You might want to re-think that because of the approach angle. Here's a pic of my winch mount. I mounted it between the frame rails. The bumper will only stick out about 3.5" from the grill. I am not trying to be critical, just passing on information I have learned from my own experiences. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I had to fab a clutch release handle that goes thru the frame and wire in a new remote plug that I will mount on the bumper... You can also see my bumper frame mounting plate I made of cardboard. It's on the left side frame rail.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. sapper

It comes out 10.5 inchs from the foward edge of the grill, i looked at a few winch spec sheets and the deepest one was 9.75 inchs so i figured that would be good, i like how your new one is tucked in there so far, its something i might do after a few other things, my biggest priority here was recovery. So how much to bend up something cool to put on the front of it /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

5. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    So how much to bend up something cool to put on the front of it /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    You haven't been talking to nvrenuf have you?

It doesn't stick out as far as it looks in the picture. Are you going with a planetary gear winch? Mine is an RE12000 worm drive. It mounts total different than any of the planetaries. Your work looks good. What did you use to cut the plate?

6. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    [​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm, that looks familiar:

[​IMG]

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. sapper

I dont know what kind of winch i will get, thats something that will be waiting untill i put in a 60 /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif. To cut the plate i used a 4 1/2 " angle grinder with some cutoff wheels, takes awile but if you go slow a good straight cut is easy

8. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

An angle grinder made those cuts? Man, I thought I had some patience. They do look good and clean though. Keep us posted on the progress.

9. morphed86k10

morphed86k10 1/2 ton status

Hey, you haven't been spying on me have you? That looks like something that was on the front of my truck about a month ago. Now its all finished (I'll get some pics asap) and it turned out pretty well.

Looks good though. Tired of going through disks yet? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

10. sapper

The bumper i took the "inspiration" from was the one Steve Frisbee had on his yellow truck. I wanted the bumper to fill in the gap from my body lift and have the "ramp" on the front of it, I did go through alot of cutting disk but its easier for me to do as much of the work at my house, instead of going to machine shops for every cut, I can watch my kids and get work done /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif, i have to go buy the mounting bolts tonite and I'm going to try and get the holes drilled in it, after that i have to take it to the metal shop and get everything welded togther, should be done by Saturday /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif