Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Winch & Bumper

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by k5 beast, Jan 12, 2006.

1. k5 beast

k5 beast Registered Member

Yesterday, I was getting the water off the tarp that covers a old cj in my yard when a fellow comes by on the road and wants to buy it. Well a long story short he wants to trade a 8274 warn for it and some old bumper that he claims will fit my K5. I've not seen either of them. I'm imagining that it will be a large bulky black steel bumper with a winch tub in it. My questions are as follows: what should I look for in the winch? and what is the easiest way to test it? If it works and isn't old a crap what is it worth? What would a old big bumper be worth? and what are the dimensions to see if it fits? I figure the jeep is worth about $800, but I really don't want to part with it as it's my parts vehicle for my other cj. But I really do want a 8274.
    Thanks in advance fellas!

2. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

A quick internet search will show several places where you could buy a brand new 8274 w/ free shipping for just over $1,000. Assuming the bumper is a generic old Warn or junky homemade version than it wouldn't be worth more than maybe $100 to me at most......but you never know, it might be a nice bumper.

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

The 8274 is a great old winch and even if its old and crusty, assuming the motor works fine, it can be freshened up (pirate rebuild faq...) for less than a hundy. If the winch is attached to a truck of his, it oughta be pretty easy to test... attach it to a tree and drag the guys truck around a little bit with it. Fiddle with the free spool to see if it works, power both in and out. If all that works, its prolly a "keeper". Bumper may or may not be worth anything... we'd need more info.

Anyway, you can get old 8274s for hella cheap sometimes. I've seen them as low as $125 in "dunno if it works just take it away!" condition. If your jeep really is worth $800... I wouldn't trade it for a 8274 unless it comes with a very nice bumper that is exactly what you want... the 8274 is a very new one or it has synthetic rope or some other blingin upgrade. Assuming none of those is true, you could sell the jeep to someone else and come out ahead buying a used 8274 elsewhere.

j

4. muscle

muscle 1/2 ton status

I agree. Im a carpenter and one summer my kid and I built a whole bunch of adirondack furniture including gliders, rockers, etc. We had a set we had just finished and a guy driving down the street stops and says he will trade a winch for a set of furniture. I go look at it and its an 8274 with extra controller, snatch block.

I went back home and loaded up his furniture. I had maybe 300 bucks in material. The guy stored the winch in his garage until every hunting season when he would mount it up for a few weeks, i mean it was pristeen.

Save the jeep

5. k5 beast

k5 beast Registered Member

Thanks Guys,
    I really appreciate the information and encouragment. I think i'll keep the jeep regardless, and maybe offer some cash for the winch if it works good.