Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Winch bumper ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 1987Blazer, Jan 7, 2007.

1. 1987Blazer

1987Blazer 1/2 ton status

I'm going to try and build my own bumper and want to know how much room I need between the grill and front of bumper to fit a winch. Can some of you guys throw a tape on your winch bumper and let me know how much room you have.

How thick of metal do I really need to use?? The frame is only 1/8 " thick.
    Thanks
    Steve

2. babyburb

babyburb 1/2 ton status

I am not sure of the amount of space you need but on the metal I used 6 in channel. I cut two pieces about 18 inches or so and they fit right over the end of my frame. I center punched my three holes, drilled them out and mounted up. Used another section of channel across for the winch plate and welded on mounts for the roller fairlead. I am not finished with it yet so it lookes major redneck but when I am finished it should look pretty good. Now that I think about it I have about 2 inches between my winch and grill. Good luck!

3. Blue90

Blue90 1/2 ton status

I've got 9 - 3/4 on mine. Plenty of room.

4. badmix

badmix 1/2 ton status

5. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

You can always mount it behind the bumper. Here's a few we have fabbed in the past. The winches behind these bumpers are rated from 12K to 15K.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As far as the thickness of material. I have used everything from 3/8" to 3/4" for the winch mount. It all depends on how far away from the frame the winch is mounted and the kind of bracing you utilize. I would also try to keep the winch inline with the frame channels. When a winch is too high in relation to the frame rails, there is a lot of extra leverage applied to the winch mounts and the frame.

Here's a pic of a behind the bumper winch mount I fabbed.

[​IMG]

6. stumblefoot

stumblefoot Registered Member

Hey DPI Ive got an old ARMY Cucv (Chevy K5) its got the tow/lifting shackels in front and the Army brush gaurd. What kind of behind the bumper winch mount can you design (make for me? I want to retain the lift/tow shackels.

7. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Those shackles are fine for pulling horizontally, i.e. extraction, but they are NOT airlift shackles like the HMMWV's have ... the tube on them isn't but a foot long or so, you'd yank them right off if you pulled UP on those things :eek1:

Other than the brush guard (which was a dealer option, btw) and the extra holes, the CUCV bumpers are stock, non-chrome, boring bumpers.

(The "extra holes" include the blackout lights and the shackle mounts.)

-- A