Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Winch Cable Location Question..

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dhdescender, Jun 11, 2003.

1. dhdescender

dhdescender 1/2 ton status

Qualicum Beach, British Columbia, Canada - Eh.
    I'm just drilling the holes in my winhc mounting plate for my M12000. As it was setup in a previous vehicle, the wire exits the winch on the upper 1/2 of the winch.

Now having a fairly decent size K5 (9" left 39's), I would naturally want my winch as low as possible, to avoid pulling 'down' all the time. Can I simply relocate the wire to exit the winch on the bottom 1/2, or will this cause a problem?

Obviously my winch remote in/out would be incorrect at that poiint, but its easily swapped.

2. boz42

boz42 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

i don't think it would be a problem, i have 3 warns (no m 12000 though) & all of them spool from the bottom.

don't take my comment as gospel b/c i don't have a m-12, but i would not be scared to try it.

3. Xtreme Off-Road

Xtreme Off-Road Registered Member

If you flip the winch over, end for end, the cable would come out the way you want and the remote switch would still show in and out correct.

4. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

I don't know about all your winches, but every Warn I've seen, It was very easy to clock the motor! Therefore putting the roller fairleed anywhere you wanted it! Just take out the 20 allen screws and rotate! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Mine seems to work great that way. But I haven't had a need to winch from lower than my anchor point yet. [​IMG]