Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Winch Cable Question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by nvrenuf, Nov 22, 2004.

1. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Does anybody here speak winch cable?

I'm thinking of replacing the cable on my 8274. I have found an industrial source with cable reasonably priced but I want to make sure I get the correct stuff.

Here is the description of what they have to offer -

<font color="brown">"the breaking limit for this cable is 9,800 when you double it back to put an eye for your hook it reduces to 7,500 to 7,800 breaking limit.It has a 5 to 1 rating,it is made of 7 x 9 galvinized Aircraft material"
    </font>

I cannot find any spec type info for cable on Warn's site. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

2. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

Why not get one of those synthetic winch ropes?As strong as cable and a ton loghter.Runs about the same price as cable and it wont cut someone in half should it break.

3. burbBoy

burbBoy 1/2 ton status

4. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

After seeing it in action and seeing some break. No questions asked I will be going synthetic when my cable needs to be replaced. The cost is worth it just for safety reasons. Not mention how much lighter it is and how much more pliable, etc.

5. nvrenuf

What are the "cons" (if any) of rope vs. cable? I know the rope is popular out west but it's not used here in the southeast much. I would be using it in trail/swamp/mud type of terrains, right or wrong for my application? How does rope perform with snatch blocking (needed 1 out of every 4~5 times winching here)?

What's an average price of the rope? I know the Warn replacement cable runs +/- $90 and the cable I quoted above is about $30 (seems too cheap leading to my question here).

6. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I would suggest goign to rope also. When cable breaks, it is viloent most of the time and could take your life. Rope has some recoil but nothing life threatening and it falls to the ground within a foot or two of the break.....

Rockstomper is a great place to buy winch cable.... www.rockstomper.com But any rope will be more expensive than the price you quoted for that cable. Isn't your life worth a few extra bucks? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. nvrenuf

I'll agree, life/health/safety are priceless but is the rope right for me and my application (see previous post)? Don't want to waste $200.

8. four_by_ken

I'm a Michigan guy... and I see no reasons not to use it. They guys I know that are using it are MI guys also.
    I see no reason not to.

Try pulling 100ft of cable through waist deep snow, or worse mud, then pull 100ft of rope. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Rope is a way to add line strength(well added break insurance, but dont try and pull more than your winch is rated for)), safety, and loose weight. The only drawback I can see is that it is less durable than cable in high snag and abrasion situations, but you can add extra abrasion guards for adding protection). Also with rope you dont have to worry as much with winding it back in and crimping like cable. You can winch it back in any pattern and it will always come back to its forma nd not hurt the rope.

$30 sound really cheap for metal line and hard to pass up.. The thing that makes me wonder on the guys statement is the reduce break limit with the eye. You never see anyone else cable(or rope) mention something like this.

It's hard to tell what is best for you... I prefer rope though...

10. FRIZZLEFRY

The only two cons I can think of (and they are not even that bad) are they can frey if you pull across a rock or a tree and over a long period of time UV light can break them down a little.As far as the freying,most of the ropes I have seen have a short sleeve that you can move to the area thats gonna rub on something.As to the UV thing,I have only heard this.Who knows how long it would take to actualy weaken the rope /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rockstomper had the best prices last time I looked around.5/16" x 80' 13,700lb winch rope runs $110 and I think that includes a 10' abrasion guard.

11. FRIZZLEFRY

[ QUOTE ]
    Also with rope you dont have to worry as much with winding it back in and crimping like cable...

[/ QUOTE ]

Next to safety,this is one of its best features.You dont have to worry as much as how you wrap it back on the drum because you cant kink it.

I try to keep my cable wound correctly and I still have some nasty kinks in mine /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

12. FRIZZLEFRY

13. boz42

boz42 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

this is hearsay, but i am debating this also &amp; i believe we(me &amp; nvrenuf) will be wheeling in similar places, guys please speak up &amp; tell me if this is true?

i heard winch rope floats. that would have come in handy more than more than one time here. does it?

also heard that sand or sandy dirt will kill it, i heard it gets into the braid of the rope &amp; acts like sandpaper. is that true?

14. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I have also been told that it floats. I would believe it.

I have seen winch rope break and it is MUCH safer then cable. It just falls to the ground harmlessly. It is also easy to restring on the trail or in camp. Rope acts like a Chinese finger trap and all you have to do is some internal braiding and it will be good to go again. You can also just tie it in a loop and use that as your hook if you snap it.

Harley

15. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Yes it floats, it was designed for marine use. The need was for a high strength, low volume, light weight rigging line for mooring (sp) ships. The other bonus not mentioned is you don't need gloves to handle it. I am a big fan of winch rope.

16. nvrenuf

Several people have mentioned the fact that the rope is safer due to the almost non-existant recoil (unlike cables whipping action) when it breaks and I appreciate that BUT the question is more about if the rope works in our environment. If the rope has to be replaced once (or more) per year then it's not worth it for me, I'd rather deal with cable and be extra cautious. Now, that said...

The rope is definitely looing more appealing but this is an interesting twist I didn't think about -

[ QUOTE ]

also heard that sand or sandy dirt will kill it, i heard it gets into the braid of the rope &amp; acts like sandpaper. is that true?

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone have any input on this?

17. four_by_ken

I have heard this too... but doesnt seem to be an issue for the guys I know.

And MI is mud country.

18. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, you just need to wash it out after heavy use. It is like a snatch strap, need to be clean. If the sand is inside it acts like sand in your sock -&gt; it chaffs.