Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

winch cable question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by agrezy1, Jan 13, 2003.

1. agrezy1

agrezy1 Registered Member

got my peirce winch working all is good except when i wind the cable in should the cable wrap in on top of roller or wrap in on bottom little confused cause it will go both ways, also does anybody run there winch front and back of truck using a reciver tube to attach it so you can use it on either end any pics of front mount reciver tube would be great. /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

2. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

Mine is a Warn and it rolls in at the bottom of the roller.

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Is that a side drive winch where ther drum is mounted up and down? I have seen one once on a old IH Travelall but never messed with one.
    The thing I have always noticed is that the pull side on Warns and Ramesy is the side closest to the mounting side of the winch. If it is a front mount like a Warn 8274 then it probably won't matter but most do go to the botom side.

4. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

the multi mount can be a good idea. Unless your in deep snow or mud. those things can get real heavy. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Here's a picture from their website. Based on the relationship between the winch drum and the roller fairlead, it looks like the wire rope comes off the bottom of the drum. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[​IMG]

6. Grim-Reaper

I didn't know Pierce was making non Commercial stuff anymore. Back in the 70's they had some weird side drum set ups and that was the last I had ever seen.

7. HarryH3

They seem to keep it a secret. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif I've driven past their place in Texas several times. It's way out in the middle of nowhere and isn't much to look at from the road, but they've managed to stay in business for a lot of years. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

The only sideways drum that I recall was on the Hickey Sidewinder. I loved their ads that showed a 1st Gen K5 hanging from a huge oak tree by the winch cable. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. Grim-Reaper

Ohhh maybe that's what I'm thinking about. as the side winder.
    Is that where that picture came from. I have that picture on my computer at home.

9. HarryH3

Yep, that was the ad for the Sidewinder. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif The Sidewinder was a pretty cool winch. It mounted under the radiator, between the frame rails. All you could see from the front was the hook hanging out of a slot in the bumper. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif I've often wondered how well it worked in the real world though. How could ya tell if the cable was getting bunched up on one side of the drum? How well did it pull as the cable piled up on the drum? Those last wraps were pretty far away from the center of the drum. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Hickey made some really neat stuff for Blazers. Somewhere I've got a cool pic that shows all the various accessories you could get from them for a 2nd Gen K5. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I am making my own craddle to mount the winch front or rear as well as on each of my trucks, so I only need to buy one winch.
    I am using 2 recievers for stability and strength since i have the 12000lbs warn winch.
    I will get pics as soon as it's done.
    I should be working on it this week end.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif