Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

winch connection ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MTPockets, Sep 21, 2002.

1. MTPockets

MTPockets 1/2 ton status

moved battery behind passenger seat...need to lengthen cables. positive cable i can see...no problem, but can't i just tap into the frame for the negative connection? the only reason i ask is because instructions don't give alternate...just say negative post on battery. anyone running their winch this way?

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

no, a winch draws a lot of amps, needs to be connected straight to the negative side and positive side of the battery.

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Well as long as you connect to the same frame rail as you run a NEW CLEAN ground to that same frame rail you could do it that way. Stock there is no ground connection from the battery to the frame. Normally the Ground goes to the block then a strap to the body off the passengerside head. What ground the frame is pulling is through body and motor mounts and not vey good.
    Personnaly I would feel that a ground cable to battery would be the better choice.

4. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

My $.02 is to keep the cables as short as possible for less resistance and to keep the battery out of the loop. Ground it to the frame. In the end thats where everything ends up grounded anyhow.

5. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

My Ramsey RE12,000 has no terminal on it for a ground, the ground is provided by it's mount. but i do have a leg of my ground running to the frame rail.

6. MTPockets

MTPockets 1/2 ton status

i have solid clean ground from battery to frame...from frame to engine...from engine to body. had to re-do all grounds when i hooked up pro-jection. i will grind off to clean metal, apply dialectric grease, bolt through, and paint over after connected for winch to frame ground.

7. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

HEHE! Get a little ground happy there Robby! I had to do something similar, just not as well as you did, to my Jeep for the stereo and amps. They are notorious for having bad gronds.

8. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I did the same think on my wifes 79 chasing an electrical problem with the gas gage. I ran a ground strap to the fram rail and problem went away.