Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

winch current draw??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by southernspeed, Feb 22, 2004.

1. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I'm thinking of putting a winch on my '78. Maybe a 8000 0r 9000 lbs one. Do I need to get a really high output alternator? What sort of amps do they draw? I've heard figures of 350 amps mentioned!! True?? I've never seen an alterntor with that sort of output advertised. At the moment I've got a stock alternator (70amp??) and twin batteries. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

There isn't a reasonably sized alternator that will power a winch. And yes, they can draw from 150-450 amps, depending on the model and how hard it is pulling. The good news is that the winch is usually only pulling for a couple of minutes or less at a time. During the pull it draws most of its power from the reserve of the battery. A high current alternator can recharge the battery much faster than your 70 amp stocker. There are many options available to you, of course all the ones that I know of are US based. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

A stock alternator from a '94 Pontiac Transport(a minivan)puts out 140 amps and can be adapted to work in just about any vehicle. Here in the US most local electrical rebuild shops can turn a stock alternator into a miniature power station. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Check out this web site for some more ideas: www.alternatorparts.com

3. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Thanks for the link. I'll have a scout around our breaker yards but I doubt I'll find anything like that. But the price of upgrade kits is pretty good so I may just get one of those instead. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif