Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Winch help pleeeeaaseee!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 88trailblazer, Apr 13, 2006.

1. 88trailblazer

88trailblazer 1/2 ton status

Last time we went out, I had to winch out of some semi-deep mud. The closest tree was in front and to the left (about a 45* angle). My spotter neglected to mention that the cable was bunching up on the left side of the drum. Even when I asked if the cable was fine he gave the universal thumbs up. :waytogo: Then I heard a snap and when I checked it out, I found that the cable pushed up on the two chrome bars/rollers that are on top of the winch until the mounting points broke clean off. Now that I think about it he may have been sticking out his middle fingers and not his thumbs! :angry1:

Also, now it seems that the drum does not lock when I release the button. It keeps spinning and won't hold the weight after released.

1. Do I really need those two bars or can I just pull them off?

2. What could be cause the problem with line lock? Could it just be a relay?

Any help would be great.
    -Alex-

2. 71 Blazer

71 Blazer 1/2 ton status

sounds line you have a burnt up brake. Call the manufacturer. those rollers keep you from tearing up things when winching, fairleads is their real name.

3. AKbigsub

AKbigsub 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I think he is talking about the two cross bars on top of the winch not the fairlead rollers. IIRC they add strength to the winch assy. If just the bolts broke and the housing and bars are fine, I would get some new bolts from the service center that does the repair on the possible brake problem.

4. Alaska Burban

Alaska Burban Registered Member

Big Sub, that you? cool!

yup, I would keep/fix those chrome bars, swap to synthetic line, and call it good. :) chrome bars are the support from one side of the winch to the other.

might be toasted clutch, how old is the winch?

5. 88trailblazer

[​IMG]

This will give you a better idea of what I mean. The red is where the metal broke off. The screws are still iin the bars.

6. 71 Blazer

71 Blazer 1/2 ton status

God knows what those stupid bars are supposed to do, get some fairleads. BTW warn is the sh*t

7. Citizen Rider

Citizen Rider 1/2 ton status

Can you read? 2 people have already said IN THIS POST what the 2 chrome bars are ontop of the winch. "They are for supporting the winch side to side."

"Get some fairleads..." Dude....do you know what a fairlead is exactly? A fairlead goes infront of the winch inwhich the winch line goes through to contol the line-
    [​IMG]

8. AKbigsub

AKbigsub 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Then the housing is broken? If so, that sucks:doah: . Time to see how good the warranty is. You might have to get a housing from a bad winch to get the pieces you need. Or how 'bout JB Weld?

9. 88trailblazer

Crap! That what I thought. i don't think I can use the warranty for this, so I'll just get someone to weld it up. Thanks

10. 88trailblazer

:haha: :haha: :haha: