Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

winch help..pto...please

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by twoslo4five0, Nov 8, 2006.

1. twoslo4five0

twoslo4five0 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I need to get a winch for my rig...i have a np 205 out of an 80 jimmy..what do i need to use this as a pto drive..i know i need the winch and what elce...were can i buy a pto winch...what are the positives of having a pto with...are they better than an electric...are they cheaper than an eletric..i know nothing about pto and how it works...and advice would be helpfull...

2. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

If you're concerned about price, you want an electric winch.

PTO winches tend to be much larger, like on a tow truck or a 2 1/2 ton military truck, and pricier, plus much more hassle to mount.

-- A

3. 79BRUISER

79BRUISER 1/2 ton status

Its my understanding that a pto has to have the motor running. Maybe I'm wrong, but it would suck to go through all the work of mounting it and not be able to use it with the motor off.

An electric winch can still be used with the motor off. Not for very long with the amp draw, but for a little while.

If you do any muddin and have happened upon a pretty deep hole, I've had friends shut down thier trucks to keep from sucking mudd into the intake. Probably saved the motor.

In an instance like this a PTO would be useless.

Just my 2 cents

4. blazin_blazer

blazin_blazer 1/2 ton status

plus if your truck dies, and it won't start, then you have no winch. they will pull a hole out of the ground,but theres to many times when your stuck that your truck is dead for some reason or another.and your stuck without a winch.

i had a friend who had one and it would pick his truck up off the ground, he had a nylon stap on a big limb in his yard with a snatch block and we used it to pull motors or trucks up so we could put stands under it. he broke several shafts tho not the drive shaft to the wrench, the one that is the spool, it would break about 6 inches in, right before it gets to the spool.

but its to many situations where you can wind up without your winch, same thing with the ones that run off your power steerin pump if truck not running no winch....i'd go with the biggest electric winch i could afford and two super batteries !!

5. blazin_blazer

man i type too slow i was typing that as you posted it

6. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

On the other hand you can't use an electric winch under water or mud. So alot depends on what you use your truck for. If money permits I usually run one of both on a truck used in mud or deep water. HYD on the front and electric on the rear. If mostly rocks, then this really doesn't apply

7. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

My winch has a sealed motor I bet it would work underwater.

Ira

8. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

Are the relays sealed though? Some may be but most aren't

9. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Nope but I have a remote relay box. If it was one of the new WARNS with the attached relays then that would prolly suck:D.

Ira

10. blazin_blazer

i've ran my rmsey under water...no problems yet(knock on wood)