Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

winch hook up

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 90BCk5, Apr 8, 2007.

1. 90BCk5

90BCk5 1/2 ton status

I just finished off my front winch bumper today and wanted a few opinions on how different people hook theirs up to power. its a warn 12000. frame neg/ power off battery for instance. or does anyone run a solenoid between power & winch?
    thanks for your opinions!

2. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

I run #4 directly from the winch to the auxiliary batteries, both + and -, about a three foot run.

Especially for a winch that big, I think both power AND ground to the batteries with big wire, is called for.

Considering that at full load your winch will require several hundred amps, you would need a HELL of a solenoid to have that kind of continuous rating. Plus I don't see the need since the winch will have its own solenoid pack on board, so you can supply it with power all the time and it will do its thing based on the controls.

-- A

3. 90BCk5

90BCk5 1/2 ton status

thanks man

4. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I dont have pics yet but I got a freakaziod electrical setup for my patriot 15k!!!!! :haha:

I have 2 x 1000ca duralast golds under my hood in parallel. Had my winch hooked up to them.. however I just put a battery isolator in.... and now have the batteries under the hood for my truck... and the winch gets the 2 x 1300ca batteries in the bed.. they are HUGE!!!! the 2 of them are actally the size of 4 of my duralast golds!!!! :bow:

also I am running 3/0 cable to my winch from the batteries!!! I will get it hooked up this week and take pics...