Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

winch, how the hell to ship it

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by supersize75, Apr 2, 2003.

1. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

Ok winch seems to be sold or pending, but what the heck do I ship this in? I really have no clue, need ideas, I really think a u-haul box wont work , but that is just my thinking /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Any ideas from the shipping gods /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

Do a box with a piece of plywood on the bottom, and add support from there.

3. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

If its the 8274 cut a piece of plywood and bolt the 4 bolts that hold the winch to it's mounting bracket to the plywood. Lay the plywood in the bottom of a heavyduty cardboard box and pack some newspaper around it. You're only talking about 125 lbs. at the most. Pack the rest of the asecories(sic) around the top of the box with scrunched up newpaper to pad them and fill in the holesYou want the inside of the box to be tight when you tape the top down. Also use the heavy duty strapping tape not the clear plastic stuff.
    They ship these things new in cardboard boxes. You might check your local 4x4 shops and see if they have a factory shipping carton left over too. If someone bought a 8274-50 recently and the shop installed it they may have the box you could either have or buy for a small amount. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. supersize75

[ QUOTE ]
    They ship these things new in cardboard boxes. You might check your local 4x4 shops and see if they have a factory shipping carton left over too. If someone bought a 8274-50 recently and the shop installed it they may have the box you could either have or buy for a small amount.

[/ QUOTE ]

great idea, thanks!

if not I will probably make a would base for it and go from there /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

5. fredekr

fredekr Registered Member

You didn't ask about the shipper but I thought I'd throw this out anyway: I parted out a car on ebay a few summers ago and learned that greyhound will ship things! For oversize and heavy items, sometimes it's the way to go. You have to drop it off at a bus stop (usually a gas station or coffee shop, mine was 2 blocks away and I didn't know it!), and the recipient has to pick it up, but it's worth checking out... easiest to call them: Greyhound Package Express 800 479 1329, they'll tell you the rate and the closest stops. They're fast too, usually 24-48 hours for around the same price as UPS ground.

cheers!
    Kevin

6. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

Just too add what has already been said. Make sure you pack that thing TIGHT. When you think you have enough packing in there put that much more X 2. Bascially you don't want the stuff in the box to move one cm. I've worked in the shipping freight business for the past 15 years, you would be surprised how the stuff that gets shipped is treated in transit.

Just my .02 worth. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Eric /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

7. supersize75

will do, also using fedex, cheap too!