Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Winch idea

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by DieselDan, Jul 10, 2002.

1. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

OK I've been thinking about this for some time. Electric winches are nice and fast but they can really tax an electrical system, on top of that many can't handle continuious duty mud requires (Do you rock boys understand "mire factor"?). Hydraulic have the power and the stamina but can be painfully slow. Then there's that engine not running argument.. PTO winches are a dying breed. When's the last time you saw a PTO shaft sneaking through a set of headers, over a high steer?

How about powering a winch with it's own small 2 cycle engine! Robins (Subaru) engines in the 1HP - 2HP range would fit the bill. Light weight, self contained, should run at most any angle, if you're worried about deep water vent the aircleaner higher and start 'er up before you hit the surf.
    About the only problem to over come is constructing some form of reversing/clutching gearbox. Anything else I haven't thought of? Has anyone ever seen anything along these lines?

2. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

hydraulic speed depends on the size of the pump.
    bigger pump = faster speed
    you could set one up to run much faster then you want/need

3. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

There is already a company selling a self contained winch as you just described. I don't remember who it was but I think it might have been Ramsey.

4. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Yep, I know you could simple install a real hydraulic pump to power the winch, but you still run into that old argument about overturned or dead vehicles needing self recovery..

I'll have to see that Ramsey unit. I would have thought somebody would have done this before. I wonder why it isn't more popular?

5. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Buy a Chainsaw Winch.

6. greatwhitenorth

greatwhitenorth 1/2 ton status

I believe some of the problems you would run into would be:

(i know you already stated a couple here but for the sake of discussion)

What sort of clutch??? Centrifugal?? hand levers like the old days???

Gear train?? Most electric winches are about 4+ Horsepower and have a reduction ratio of about 150:1.

I know what really matters on line pull is torque, but I have no idea what sorta torque a winch motor puts out.. lets say 24ft-lbs based on a 10000lb pull, 8"dia drum, 150:1 reduction.

Faster winches will need more torque and less reduction to achieve the same line pull.

Wouldn't be able to power out, no brake other than compression IF you get some sort of gear train with a reverse gear in it.. this may not be a problem if all you do is mud, but if you ever use the winch on an incline you'll run into problems.

Size - a suitable 2 stroke motor will be pretty bulky compared to the size of an electric motor.

I have thought about home made winches before, and read lots of posts like this and the best idea I've heard of so far is using a small 2-stroke motor to power a hydraulic pump for a hydraulic winch. with this setup you could mount the motor and pump in the bed or someplace outta the way and just run your hoses up to your winch.

I have no idea what you could get a reversable drive train from, maybe a snowmobile w/ reverse... can't think of anything else reasonable small that would have a reverse gear.. tranny outta a vw or something.. either way its not gonna be very small.. Anyone now of small reversing drivetrain??

This is a good topic, I'd like to learn more about this..

Hope my stupid ramblings will bring someone with some firsthand knowledge into this post.

7. ratpack7

ratpack7 Guest

Your right some one does make it. I'll have to find it it's a whinch that is hooked to like a chain saw. I think I saw it in a Cabellas catolog.

8. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Wow 4+ horse from an electric winch? Are you sure about that? A 1HP 110Volt motor is pretty damn big (yes, it IS continous duty).

Ya, you could simply power a hydraulic set up. Sounds alittle expensive, but workable.

I was thinking more like a panetary set up, actuated by solenoids. 'Never seen that "chainsaw" winch.

9. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

The nice thing about an electric is that its quiet. It might be annoying to have to listen to a chain saw motor every time you winch.

10. greatwhitenorth

greatwhitenorth 1/2 ton status

Diesel dan, yes those are 4+ hp motors. dirrect current, and non continuous.

I work at a mill so I am well aware of how big even a 1/2Hp continuous duty motor is..