Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

winch install?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by browningejm, Apr 4, 2005.

1. browningejm

browningejm Registered Member

I have a 3" body lift with the front bumper brackets that raise it. I would like to know if I can mount he winch to this or I need to put the bumper back down? TIA ,ERIK

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

I know those little cinnamon sugary donuts are the cat's meow when it comes to donuts. Sometimes though, I stop by the mom and pop shop for some chocolate covered old fashions, they can really make my day go by a lot faster.

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

/me yawns

nope know nothing

think about this. You are mounting a strong pulling force to the front of your truck. To a bumper that is mounted up away from the frame rails. WHen the winch pulls whats gonna happen to the brackets? Normally the force goes straight down the line(linear force, amazing) through the frame rails. As long as the bumper is securely mounted, thats fine and dandy. Now offset the bumper from the place you want the force to go. Can you figure this one out for yourself or do you need a bull**** equation or drawing?

4. fordeater

fordeater 1/2 ton status Premium Member

i'd prefer chocolate covered myself

by the way, if you are getting no responses, maybe you are asking the WRONG question

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

see cops know about donuts and thats all

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

oh and looking back through your posts looks like everyone of your questions was answered. What cause they didn't open up a long drawn out discussion they were failures?

7. browningejm

THANK-YOU !!!!!!! All I ASKED FOR WAS A REPLY TO A ? I DIDN'T KNOW. If I knew all the answers, I wouldn't be here!!!

8. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Don't mind Bubba. He is one of the site jesters. I didn't see this earlier or I would have answered it. You want the winch to pull inline with the frame like mentioned above.

Harley

9. browningejm

I seemed to have got my answer in very RUDE fashion, thankyou for your input.

10. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Yes it seems that way to me too. It is not typical around here so don't take it to personally. I apologize for there attitudes.

Harley

11. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

You asked for an answer to a question in your first post. You then pretty much insulted the intelligence of everybody on this website with your second.

You want the winch to pull inline with the frame and to be mounted to something sturdy. If your bumper is a factory one, I don't really care where it is, I wouldn't mount a winch to it.

I also apologize for the attitudes but you did come off as a little harsh before.

12. browningejm

they did not answer my ?!!!!!!!!!!

13. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Would this be where one of our resident Southerners take issue with that comment made by a Yankee, especially one from New York????????????? :D

Chill out a little. Sometimes it takes a little time to get an answer and if you think it's taking a little too long, then it's okay to make mention of it, but don't get all bent like my ex-wife at a Navy port call about it. :D

14. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

i would keep the bumper up, box off the frame and trim a little off of the bottom of the bumper. the mount the winch inside the boxed off portion of the frame. that is the best way to do it in your situation that i can thnink of.

oh and btw are you the kinda guy who kicks his computer when it loads too slow. jeez man give it some patience. :xmas:

15. browningejm

SORRY, when I get jambed up with problems, I look for quick answers, when they don't come, I get wound up...

16. coptezr

coptezr 1/2 ton status

17. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

buy yourself an answer book, then you'll have all the answers. you wont need to be here then. with your attitude, you're not going to make any friends here anytime soon. just be patient.
    Harley, you have nothing to appologize for. someone just needs to learn a little bit of patience.

18. bigcountryk5

bigcountryk5 1/2 ton status

common beater give the guy a little leway he's new so let's let him figure out the way things work round here might turn out to be a cool guy i think he's getting the point.... good things come to those who WAIT! he just needs to settle down he'll be alright and if not he'll get the Timmay :cool1:

19. smalltruckbigcid

smalltruckbigcid 1/2 ton status

Cinnamon sugar donuts are great, even Krispy Kreme gets those right
    George

20. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Screw the answer book.... I want an easy button :grin:

Keep the winch pull in the same plane as the center of the mounting point as much as possible. That said My last bumper had the winch about 2" above the bolts and it would pivot a little on the bolts every time I used it.