Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Winch MISUSE ACCIDENT

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by djsblaze, Mar 21, 2005.

1. djsblaze

djsblaze 1/2 ton status

Hello All,

Just wanted to pass along a terrible story regarding winch use. I know many of us (myself included) like to think we are winch experts; but sometimes people get into a hurry and make mistakes. Wish I could say this happened at MOAB, or somewhere cool, but it was a Wal-Mart parking lot. I stopped to get some supplies, and noticed a dead jeep being pushed by a bunch of guys. My wife said we should give them a push, so I offered, but the guy did not want to scratch his bumper, so he said he would use his winch cable. As I was backing up to his jeep, I heard some serious screaming. Instead of freespooling the line out, he hooked up his remote, grabbed the hook, and pressed the wrong button. His hand, all the way up to his fingers, was crushed in the fairlead. Severed one of his fingers, broke every other, and probably his hand as well. Lots and lots of blood. I called 911, and the EMTs said they could probably save the finger. The kid is alright, but it sure got my attention. PLEASE be careful when using your winches!!!!! Looking back at some of the things Ive done, Im counting my blessings...

2. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

That sucks! There was a link to video a long time ago on here that showed a guy getting his hand caught in a winch.

3. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Wow, thats nasty! I feel bad for the guy.

4. djsblaze

djsblaze 1/2 ton status

Ive seen that video, same thing except this was live and the guy was crying to me...it was intense, but Im told he will be fine. Lot of screaming though...:crazy:

5. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

I have a 12" strap on the hook I hold on to and the hook is to large to go thru the fairlead. Put the strap on after reading about the other axcident.

6. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

good post and good to be reminded to ALWAYS be carefull. feel bad for the kid though:frown1:

7. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

it's scarry how fast a mistake can take you out.

8. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

Dang Doug. That is horrific. Did you get the guys name by chance? Was he the owner of the Jeep or one of the guys pushing it?

How did he get his hand out of the fairlead?

Man that sucks... :frown1:

9. mtn. burb

mtn. burb 1/2 ton status

Yes, good post. SAFETY and I like the idea of 70 K5 using a 12" strap on his hook for handling.

10. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

No lifting....?

I have a winch mounted on a small crane on my pickup,and have had a few close calls with it--winches arent reccomended for use as a hoist,but I've lifted a good many riding mowers,engines,and other heavy scrap items--never had any injuries from the winch,(other than getting cut on frayed cable)but I dont trust it to hold a load suspended in midair,a few times the load shifted and caused the crane to swing towards me and nearly pinned me against the side of the truck--I had to let go of the crane and RUN!!..-I did get a glove caught in between the pulley and cable and nearly got my hand crushed in between them--:yikes:

-I'm not sure why they say not to use a winch as a hoist--I dont see the difference between pulling 2000lbs sideways or straight up--I'd think it would present the same strain on the cable and winch either way:confused: --since the winch hasn't failed or let the load drop,I assume its only liability the manufacturer is concened about,I think the winch can "take it"--but I do stand clear of the load while I'm lifting it,just in case...it would not take but a second to get squashed under something that dropped..I prefer a worm type winch for lifting,but thats not what mine is unfortunately..I can see how it would be easy to lose a hand,fingers,or other body parts winching things around..:frown1:

11. IGOR

IGOR 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Winches are not to be used for hoists due to the liability of having the free spool available.

A "true" hoist should not have a free spool capability.

12. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yet another lesson which tells us all that bling sucks.

if he hand't been worried about scuffing his cute little bumper his hand would be fine. chrome dont get ya home, but it may land you in the hospital!!!

j

13. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Yup Bling sucks!!

14. big jimmy 91

big jimmy 91 1/2 ton status

This was a very unfortunate accident for the poor guy hurt , I hope he will have a full recovery

We use an old style winch set up at work that can free wheel on you if you are not careful (a dock winch powered by a massive drill motor)
    It got away on me once with a load and it was nearly a disaster , very hazardous , but usefull.

15. djsblaze

djsblaze 1/2 ton status

DP, sorry it took so long, work got in the way of my internet time. The kid was either late high school or early college. Dont know. He and his brother with him owned the jeep, so I assume H.S. Want to know how he got his hand out? His brother started pulling on his arm, and pop, out it came, less one finger which was hanging on by a thread. His hand/arm was not sucked all the way into the drum, just the fairlead. Ive seen some pretty serious stuff in my day, but I have never heard anything make noise like that, and Ive killed hogs with buckknives and pitbulls...thats a loud and disturbing sound itself (only did it once--too much for me). I felt so bad for the kid, he went from macho tough guy to baby boy in a split second. So, what have we learned? Be careful with your winches, they are not toys...(even though they are so fun to play with...carefully!!!!!