Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Winch Motor??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by t89blazer, Nov 12, 2006.

1. t89blazer

t89blazer 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I want to check the motor on a Warn 8274. Is there anyway that can do this on a winch that does not have the control box? I seached here and on Pirate and the only thing that I could find was how to check the solenoids.

Thanks
    Tim

2. t89blazer

3. AZ79K5Project

AZ79K5Project 1/2 ton status

Do you have access to the power lines to the motor? The solenoids are simply large relays much like fan relays and a manual on/off switch. They are just remote switches to turn the motor on and off from the battery cables and to switch directions.

Before you apply any power, make sure you don't have a short with a VOM (volt ohm meter). Once you have established no short then...

1 - Do you have a good battery charger? Hook it up to the motor check if it turns. Most charges have short protection in case the motor is shorted.

OR

2 - Use jumper cables and a stand alone battery (again in case of a short - prevent a carBBQ). Hook both grounds up (battery and - side of motor). Attach the + to the battery. TAP the other end to + side of the motor to see what happens.

Excessive heat, sparks or melting of cables = shorted motor.

4. t89blazer

There are 3 posts on an 8274 motor and that is where my confusion is. I have checked for a short and I am in good shape. I have a battery charger and a stand alone battery, I just need to know what each post does on the motor.

thanks for the reply,
    Tim

5. AZ79K5Project

AZ79K5Project 1/2 ton status

I think this post has what you are looking for:

Pirate Rebuild Warn 8274

EDIT: The schematic and power hookups are towards the bottom of the page.