Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Winch mount a-la multi-mount

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BadDog, Jun 11, 2004.

1. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I've got several 4x4s now for different types of trails. The truggy (which may be at the end of it's line), a 1 ton K5, my son's lawn ornament pre-runner "in the works", my tow rig, and my trailer. All of which I can envision wanting the a winch on. Can't afford that many winches, and I don't like giving up the approach angle on my truggy or the K5, so I built a "multi-mount". Should be plenty strong (stronger than the Warn mount), not all that heavy, and I can use it anywhere I build a mount and run power to. Got some of those high amp hermaphrodite plugs so it can be plugged up to run anywhere...

Anyway, here is the mount...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

Looks good Russ! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Let us know how your back is after a day of moving it from vehicle to vehicle, should be fun lining up with no handles. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Looks good! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

4. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

NICE! /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif I've setup the blazer for recovery points front and rear from receivers so a multimount is definatly in my future. I'm going to weld in a reciever behind the drivers seat to the roll cage to put the winch/multimount when not in use. Dont forget locking pins! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

What size angle is that? 2.5"x 1/4"?

5. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

Nice and strong looking mount. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I will be making a mount similar to yours for myself.

Do you have any information on your electrical plugs? What size winch you going to run?

6. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

That looks strong! Good job. What kind of winch is going in there?

7. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

That is a sharp looking mount!

I think it will be great untill you have to haul it strait up some rock face to use it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Rugged and simple. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I would round off those sharp corners before they have a chance to dig a crater in your leg as you're moving the winch around. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif I'd also add some type of handles to make it easier to maneuver. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

9. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

When I built mine I went beyond overkill. I made it out of 1/2" plate, 3/16" tube, and gusseted everything with 1/2" triangles and 1/4" angle iron. Underside picture

Right now my weak point is the hole in the tube. I think I'm going to build another one. I'm going to double-wall it to make the tube strong enough. I'm also going to make provisions to stick a 2" ballmount on the other end. That way when you're trying to drag something on a trailer you can put the winch between the trailer and your truck. I'm probably going to make the plate out of 5/16" also to try to get the weight down.

I'd rather carry around a bag of Redi-mix than my winch. It's so heavy it's almost unbearable. It won't be so bad once I put handles on it though.

10. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Very nice welds /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Nice work!! And the "Hermaphrodite High Amp Plugs"----! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gifAnother one for the one liners post!. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

12. BadDog

Yep, already got a locking pin on it. Angle is 2 x 0.250 and most of the strap is 2 x 0.250. Winch is a 9500hsi that I got cheap on clearance.

All those angles that look a bit sharp are really all rounded off pretty well. Nothing that will grab your leg or cut jeans or anything. And I've been debating handles, but that's just more weight and I really don't have THAT much trouble mounting it, especially with 2 people...

Good idea on the ball mount idea. Wouldnt' be that hard and wouldn't have to add much length or weight if you used the 2.5" for the last 6" instead of the 2" to the end. Also would give you a perfect place for a hook point when using a snatch block. Wish I had thought of that...

I don't have an online link for the plugs. There basically the little 2 conductor plugs you see in lots of the high amp applications. Big copper pins inside, and they are all the same, there is really no male/female. So you buy 2 boxes with a pair in each, and that's enough for the winch plus 3 mount locations. Somewhere recently I saw a pic of a jumper cable made with these plugs, and someone was also talking about using it to switch dual batteries from 12 to 24 volts just by unplugging and replugging. I'm sure someone can provide a link... If you need more info, PM me and I'll try to get a name and part number for you.

13. CyberSniper

I wouldn't hook back to the winch plate when using a snatch block. I think the tubing is already being pretty well taxed without doubling the force on my winch mount. I doubt any 5/8" pin would shear before the tube snaps. I planned on just hooking back to the towhook.

I use HB 350 amp connectors on mine. The terminals are some kind of alloy that doesn't rust. Most of my wiring is 2/0 but the lead on the winch is 1/0 and then after the solenoids it's 2 gauge. Warn uses 175 amp connectors on their crap.

I've got everything to do jumper cables except the clamps. I sold my original jumper cable setup to a kid for twice what I paid for it. The next ones I make are going to be 20' long instead of the 15' I used last time.

[​IMG]

14. BadDog

There is a pic, that's exactly the plug I'm using.

Your probably right too, shouldn't have both points hanging from the same mount. I wasn't thinking...

[Edit] BTW, I ran #2 from the distribution block through the plugs to the winch. It's rated for more than enough and the plugs barely fit the #2. But I use 2/0 from the rear battery to the cowl mounted high amp distribution block.(std CUCV). Most leads from there out are #2 or smaller....

15. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

You can try rope and hose/pvc (you choice) handles for lugging it around so they won't add much weight. I just got done building a simpiler multi mount for our crew cab project (tow rig/fire roader) and was debating the handles.

Where did you get the connectors? locally?
    Looks good.

16. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    I'm in the process of building a Jeep. I'm taking the unconventional route though. I'm starting with a fullsize Chevy and replacing select parts (like the shifter knob, door handles, and the badging) with Jeep parts. I can't afford to buy a Jeep and then replace everything with Chevy parts so I'm going the other way.

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

It's so true though. I always ask the Jeep people why nobody ever talks about SBC conversions for Chevies, or putting Chevy running gear under Chevies.

Oh, wait, I *already have that* /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

But you said it better.

-- A

17. CyberSniper

Yeap, got to love the Jeep guys. Most of the time the only thing they keep is the tub, the doors, the top, and the frame. Most everything else they replace with Chevy parts... including the steering column. There are some that'll throw insane amounts of money into Scout Dana 44s and put wheels on it with 3" of backspacing when they could run Chevy axles with 4" of backspacing and only be 5" wider. I know if I had a Jeep I'd put half ton Chevy axles under it. Fender flares are for pussies and the wider stance keeps the trees off the sheetmetal anyway.

The current trend in the club is to run Scout Dana 44s with SOA, 36" Intercos of your choice, a 700R4 hooked to a NP231 or Dana 300, and a SBC under the hood.

If I could find someone that'd cut the "Jeep" stampings found on the lower part behind the front tires I'd graft them into my trailrig in the same spot. I'm not kidding either.

18. BadDog

When I was trying to decide what to do to the front of my truggy, a Jeep friend suggested putting a Jeep TJ hood on it if he provided it. And I would have, just to tick off everybody... /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif Especially the Jeep guys... I had planned on doing sort of as you suggest, showing up for a hard core "Jeep" only run and give them a lot of grief over where they draw the line when they won't let me go...

19. CyberSniper

Yeah, I wouldn't do it if it didn't irk them so. I mean really, do I need to spend all the time to pretend to be a hardcore Jeeper otherwise? While it's kind of retarded that I'd go out of my way to do so the reward is far too great to ignore.

The current plan, as of right now, is to find some "JEEP" stampings to put into the fenders and find some paddle handles for the doors. My "secret weapon" is my plans to make a 7 vertical slat grill with round headlights on the narrowed front. I think that might be a little bit over the top though. haha.

20. BadDog

Hey, then you would be more "Jeep" than most of the "Jeeps".