Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Winch Mount Question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Brocky, Nov 10, 2005.

1. Brocky

Brocky 1/2 ton status

Anyone here have a winch mounted inside the back of a K5? I was thinking of mounting one in behind the back seat. I would like to keep it away from the thiefs around here. Also would be neat to just drop tailgate and winch away. I would make it on a reciever so I could mount it on front if need be. Anyone have any pics or ideas?

2. guido666

guido666 1/2 ton status

Has anyone ever tried just welding the nuts onto the bolts once it's installed? I don't have one yet but I planned on just putting a tack weld on there, maybe even a blob on the outside of the nut. That way you'd have to grind the nut a bit (to get a wrench on it), and grind the welds (to free the nut). How do thieves usually steal winches? We don't have many winches around here, so I have no idea.

3. Brocky

Brocky 1/2 ton status

I have seen bumpers gone missing for the sake of a winch. Some guys would steal stuff just for the sake of saying they did it. Also with all the Oxy-cotton heads running around nothing that can sell for a quick buck is safe. I just like the idea of mounting it inside out of sight.

4. guido666

guido666 1/2 ton status

I think it would be very unworth doing. You would either have to build very strong supports up from the frame to meet the body (but then you would lose the body's ability to flex around on the frame), or cut a big hole in the floor to let the winch poke up inside.

You could however mount it BENEATH the truck in the same area if you have a body lift perhaps. It would still require some beefy custom fabrication, but with a suspension lift there is really a lot of dead space in there above the driveshaft. There shouldn't be much worry about it hitting.

5. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

just a idea but if the cable ever snaped the door is open for it to come in and get you much easyer than with the full body of the blazer closed up to stop the cable from flying in. do the 2" quick mount setup front and rear. then build a holder for in the back when not in use.

6. Brocky

Brocky 1/2 ton status

VERY GOOD point! I wasnt thinking it thru. Well back to the drawing board. Maybe I will look into a 2 inch body lift and putting it underneth or just mount it on the hitch and have it over with. :haha: I just wanted it to be cool. :D

7. Brocky

Brocky 1/2 ton status

Yes that poped into my mind aswell. I just figured a good roll cage might divert it. Espically with spare mounted up in the middle of the cage on a 45. But thanks for the heads up. Going to have to mount it on the reciever type.

8. guido666

guido666 1/2 ton status

Plus then it's usable in front or back!

9. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

Sounds like you've decided against it, but another reason would be the stress put on the gate if (when) the attachment point is below the gate's height and the cable applies pressure on the edge of the gate.

I've got the Warn Multimount with a front and rear receiver and like it very much. The only downside is that the front receiver puts the winch a little lower than it would with a bumper mount. Though the upside is that a factory bumper is WAY lighter than a typical winch mount bumper. Another thought is that you will need to get power to the rear of the truck. I made a set of cables for this that double as jumper cables. Now I can jump or be jumped by the vehicle behind me on the trail!

10. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

that will void the warn warantee if you get a warn. what i did on my multi-mount was weld angle iron ovet the top of the nuts. makes a ^ over the nut so you cant get a wrench on them :D

11. guido666

guido666 1/2 ton status

Why would that void the warranty? Does the winch come with special bolts for mounting or something?

12. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Probably wouldn't be a good place to have a winch if whatever you were pulling on was below the level of the tub floor. For example, if you were on a level surface at the top of a hill climb, and the other guy you are pulling is still on the slope of the hill. At some point your winch cable and tub floor are going to "fight". Not good.

IMO, it'd be best to use a multimount... tack weld covers over the bolt heads, and use some kind of good high quality hitch-pin lock to make sure it stays in whatever receiver you want to mount it in. When not on a 4x4 trip or recovery mission, unmount it from the hitch and leave it in the house.

j

13. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

haha that's what I was trying to say (obviously not very clearly) :doah:

14. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

you prolly did fine, i didn't read every response b4 i posted, ;)

j