Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Winch Mount Questions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Depdog, Sep 23, 2000.

1. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

O.k. am considering putting the winch on the front bumper instead of in the removable cradle its in. Went to Warns site and got part numbers for their universal mounting plates. Since the site nor their catalog have pics of these plates, does anybody know what in the hell these terms mean.

FOOT DOWN MOUNTING or FOOT FORWARD MOUNTING? I am shooting in the wind that they mean FOOT DOWN is the mounting bolts on the bottom. FOOT FORWARD means mounting it like where the fairlead is mounted

Depdog

<font color=blue>"Lead, Follow, or BECOME the Trail"</font color=blue>

http://depdogsk5.coloradok5.com

2. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

Warn's winch bumbers have an 'L' shape with the verticle part towards the front. If it's a foot forward (like my old 60s model), the winch bolts to the front of the bumber. If it's a foot down (like my new 90s model), the winch bolts to the bottom of the 'L' or bumber. Either way the wire rope goes through the front of the 'L' or bumber. Sounds like you had it figured out already.

BTW, when I switched from a foot forward to foot down all I had to do was drill some holes in the bottom of the 'foot'.

3. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Depdog,
    Why are you thinking of Changing to the front bumper? Don't you like the mount you made?

C'moe

<font color=black>the blazer is "Back in Black"

4. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

I like my setup, it works great, just considering putting the winch on the front bumper permanent. It looks more 4x4 beefy that way and makes for a tighter approach angle for the front than mounted in the cradle.

Depdog

<font color=blue>"Lead, Follow, or BECOME the Trail"</font color=blue>

http://depdogsk5.coloradok5.com

5. Its nice being able to move the winch.But its a big pain in the but if you get stuck and its in the truck!LOL My friend did this last weekend.LOL Its a little heavy also to move all the time.He's buying a smaller winch for the back next month.Good luck depdog.

IF IT AINT BIG IT AINT BAD!!!!!!

6. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

I've given the approach angle some thought on my K5. It has a Warn winch and bumber. The bumber being muuuuch older. I am conviced that I could build a mount that sits between the frame wells, a little lower and almost under the grill. This would help appoach angles without sacrificing clearance from what I can tell. What gave me the idea was a picture in a '73-'75 K5 ad from GM. It showed the optional winch which was positioned behind the stock chrome bumber. I got to looking and can see no reason why this wouldn't be possible. It would be very trick and functional as well. Now I just need a shop and some welders, grinders, plasma cutter....etc.

What are your thoughts. Anybody think I'm crazy?

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I don't think you're crazy, thats exactly where I am going to mount a winch. I had a deal on a 10,000 lb Braden winch, but the guy sold it after taking a deposit from me[​IMG]!
    I had it all measured out and it would have fit no problem.
    The only concern I had was access to the winch, and possibly mud collecting there, but I guess that would probably happen no matter where I mounted it[​IMG]

Rene

[​IMG]