Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Winch mount ????'s

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by hardcore71, Feb 23, 2005.

1. hardcore71

hardcore71 Registered Member

Ok I have read many posts and seen many pictures of trucks with hidden or recessed winch mounts. I really like the idea of jamming my M12K between the frame rails and losing my approach angle destroying winch bumper.

My big concern has always been accessing the freewheel lever on the winch. It ddoesn't look easy and could be impossible with the truck buried past the frame (when you need it most).

I am especially worried about this now that I have my synthetic winch rope and the manufacturer says the only time you have to worry about the rope melting to the drum is when you are powering the rope out.

Sooooo, Who out there has done it and dealt with the issues? Do you haave any good solutions? :confused:

2. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

You will have to fab an extension to free spool the winch. That shoud be fairly simple especially if the lever is on top of the winch. You can extend it straight up.

Both of these bumpers have a free spool extension that extrudes thru the frame for easy access. The red and white K5 has a Ramsey RE12000 mounted behind it, and the white K5 has a Ramsey Patriot 15000 behind it.

The RE12000 mounted with out modification to the winch. The Patriot needed the solenoid moved because of its size. I moved it into the engine bay on the right side fender well. This is well above any water or mud it may encounter, right Doug?!?!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]