Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Winch Mount

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by babyburb, Jan 22, 2007.

1. babyburb

babyburb 1/2 ton status

I just aquired a warn 9000 lb winch and wanted to mount it on the back of my burb. I also want to keep my hitch. I thought about mounting it on top of the hitch point but I am about 1 inch to high. I thought about moving it back under cab a little but the gas tank is in the way. Any ideas.

I thought about relocating a long slim gas tank inside frame in front of rear wheels but it did not look like much room. I also had the idea of a hitch mount but would rather not.

HUH, :thinking:

Any suggestions?

2. W7NB

W7NB 1/2 ton status

What about a pair of K10 shortbed tanks ala 70's vintage only mounted inside the frame rails? Might mean having to move the muffler/tailpipe outside the frame, but it's the only thing I can think of other then tanks inside in the back. I had tanks behind the wheel wells in an old heep wagoneer many years ago that worked ok.

Look at marine fuel tanks in a catalog like cabellas or bass pro shops - they have some very nice welded aluminum tanks that might do what you want.

3. babyburb

babyburb 1/2 ton status

excellent info. I am going there now.
    Thanks

4. babyburb

babyburb 1/2 ton status

I went to both but they only offer Moeller plastic tanks. There was a 35 gallon 8"x69"x14" that would probably work. My question now is would plastic be safe under the burb. Skid plate maybe?

5. 81jimmyslt

81jimmyslt 1/2 ton status

Here you go, allows you to keep the stock hitch too!

[​IMG]

6. babyburb

babyburb 1/2 ton status

Just talked to cousin. He has a 73 step side (2 wheel drive) sitting in his yard. Has a long tank on out side of frame. Would that be able to go on outside of 76 burb's frame. If so I wouldn't have to worry with my exuast system.

81jimmyslt the bumper looks awesome and wish I had the greens to buy but I am on a very tight bugdet. Thanks though.

7. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Make a mount that would go into your hitch, like the Warn Mulitmount.

8. babyburb

babyburb 1/2 ton status

yea, I keep thinking about that option as well. The only problem is concinence (sp?). I would mainly be using it to load stuff on trailers and would have to have the trailer on the ball before the pull. Another thing is I would have to store it in the burb with all of my tools and accessories and space is already getting cramped. I will go to this as a last resort if I have to, but would rather not.

I'm leaning towards relocating fuel tank up by the frame and rerouting exaust if I have to. That would also eleveate some but sag when I distribute my weight forward.

9. cabledawg

cabledawg Secret Squirrel Premium Member

A buddy of mine welded a piece of 2" square tube onto the front of the trailer to pull his drag car up the ramps. The rest of the time it sits in the front reciever mount with a heavy canvas cover to keep the bugs and crud out. Just a thought.

10. onetonbb74

onetonbb74 1/2 ton status

i like the multimount because a few reasons. 1. Interchangeability from front to rear. 2. the (expensive) winch goes in my garage when not in use so it doesn't get stolen. 3. ive had to put it on a friends truck in an emergency and jumper cables made it work no problem. 4. my multimount still has a reciever on the bottom for hookup to trailers and such. 5. works on my rear bumper with only wiring to do. 6. Can take it off so deep water doesnt damage the solenoids.

I dislike the multimount because of a few reasons. 1. if your stuck and have to move it, its a pain in the ass. 2. its heavy. 3. Not rated the double capacity a snatch block brings. 4. need a front hitch for the system to work. 5. must store on a hitch (pref. welded in bed of truck). If its in the bed or cab, and you roll, that sucker will kill you if it hits you. 6. kills approach or departure angles depending where you put it if its on the truck.

11. W7NB

W7NB 1/2 ton status

12. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

I have an idea.
    Mount it on top of your bumper. Cut a boxed hole in your tailgate. That way you can still open the tailgate and it won't hit the winch. Do you really need the window anyway?:rolleyes:

13. babyburb

babyburb 1/2 ton status

IDEA:rolleyes:

Looking at it I need about 3 or so inches.

I have contimplated putting a 1 or 2 inch body lift on already. I also thought about adding a 1/2 in spacer between my hitch and frame.

I also thought about getting shorter tailgate cables.

Thoughts?...yes...no...maybe...am I crazy and noone wants to tell me?...:D

14. W7NB

W7NB 1/2 ton status

My only worry would be how well you do the spacers - if it was solid blocks you could probably get away with even an inch drop.

15. babyburb

babyburb 1/2 ton status

It came to me. I know how I will pull this one off. The idea began to run like fire spreading across the drought stricken land with a 40 mile an hour wind. I am going to.....

tell you how I pulled this one off when I finish the build . Sorry for the suspense. I really do know what I am going to do but like an evil scientist, I cannot reveal my ideas until the monster is created. I will DEFINATELY keep you posted. Probably be about a month.

Thanks for all of the input.

16. W7NB

W7NB 1/2 ton status

Yeah sure, and he wanted US to share our ideas:wink1:

Pics and techy stuff WILL be expected!

17. babyburb

babyburb 1/2 ton status

Drawings

I will draw them out and see what you think. Maybe I can get some ideas from yall before the build. I'll post up asap.

18. babyburb

babyburb 1/2 ton status

I think my upload went through. Is it a weird idea or what? I think it will work though. What do you think about a fold down winch mount?

19. babyburb

babyburb 1/2 ton status

pic

sorry, here's the pic

bumper 2.JPG

20. SUPER'BURB

SUPER'BURB 1/2 ton status

If ingenuitive were a word (maybe it is but it didn't come up in my system when I checked) it would apply to you.................

Having said that, there are two things that would scare me about this Idea.

1) The shear load on the bolts is going the wrong direction (across the thread not along the thread).

2) Winch hanging down in rear might smack something as you go down the road.

I'm no expert but that's my .02