Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Winch mounting pictures

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84_Chevy_K10, Sep 3, 2003.

1. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I know not many of you actually have winches, but the ones of you that do, I'd like to see some pics because I'm thinking of getting one real soon now. I am not gonna spend $1500 on a bumper to get one, and unfortunately nobody makes a cool looking one with plate instead of tube in my price range.

So, lets see yours....especiailly if it's budget!

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

look in my webshots albums i run a multi mount setup setup is under $200 for everything /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

4. BOWTIE

BOWTIE 1/2 ton status

here's mine
    http://www.texasoffroad.net/galleries/members/winch

it was made form an old winch plate from a j**p and the ends that are mounted to the frame came from a rear hitch.. not a complete bumper but it works..

and this one is my nephews

[​IMG]

that one was made from scratch.. the base plate is 1/2" then the rest was made out of 3/8..

5. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

I built this to mount between the frame rails. It does not affect your approach angle at all.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

I really like that setup TrcksR4ME! Looks really sweet. Kind of incognito. Are you gonna add a pre-runner style setup to it and some lights? Looks good! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Kris

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    look in my webshots albums i run a multi mount setup setup is under $200 for everything /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I considered it. Where did your front reciever come from? I really don't want to make one. I'd prefer to buy one (it'd make a great recovery point and even stiffen the frame a bit, I like that idea!).

Wow, those other setups are cool. If you'd continued that one to make a bumper from it, it'd be even better!

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Hmm...seems nobody makes a Reunel style bumper for less than a grand. I'll buy a damn welder and make it myself for that price.

One interesting thing I've seen in my research though...the Warn bumper is $300 and looks pretty stout, has a winch mount to boot. I know the cheesy bolt on brush guard winch mount is trash, but the bumper looks like a pretty decent deal. Anyone ever seen a Warn Classic bumper on a Chevy in person?

9. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I really like that setup TrcksR4ME! Looks really sweet. Kind of incognito. Are you gonna add a pre-runner style setup to it and some lights? Looks good! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Kris

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I haven't really thought about what I am gonna do next to it, except I do want to add lights for sure. I have only wheeled once with the new bumper and it works well so far and it is tucked in enough to keep the approach angle pretty good. I kinda like it plain and simple, but I'll see as I wheel more.

10. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I modified a Black Warn Classic from a Full size Jeep to a First Gen. They are made of really thin metal, bent easily, but the finished look was good!

11. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    Where did your front reciever come from?

[/ QUOTE ]
    i made it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Ahh that'd be a problem. I can weld body panels and exhaustd and stuff but I wouldn't trust my welds on anything structural. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Does anyone make a front reciever for our trucks?

Mike, how thin is thin? 3/16"?

13. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

How much have you looked into the Warn bumpers?9supposeding you are looking at the Enforcer style).. Last I checked the Bumper itself was $300 but the install kit and bracketry was also another $300..... So a total of $600, but still cheaper then a Reunel... Even the Trailready(RoadArmor) bumpers are $1000...

14. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I've checked out the Road Armor/ Trail ready variety. If that's the case with the warns they can stick it. No way I'm spending more than $300 on a bumper unless its custom.

I'm going to home depot now to buy some welding cable to make my battery cables. Maybe I need to look into a cheap 220v MIG or even a cheap AC stick welder so I can get started. I hate my lame attempts at welding but even a lot of wasted steel is better than all that money for a stupid bumper.

15. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

Valley and Reese used to sell them for $120. When Quality Farm & Fleet went out of business they had one and I should've bought it.

A RV shop should be able to get you one. I used to see them all the time on the front of 3/4 and 1 tons for moving travel trailers around.

16. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Hmm...I'll have to see. I am thinking its time for me to buy a welder.

17. earl87gta

earl87gta 1/2 ton status

I dont have any pics but origanaly I used a reas hitch winch braket for the front and I bought a universal reas hitch from wallmart for $100 I then kut it to the correct size i think it was 26 in but not positive with out checking. and then i re welded the mounts to it. It worked fine and was probly stonger after I welded the mounts on then it was before. My new bummpers I drew out on paper and took it to a local meatel shop they cut out the parts and now I have to weld them up Im getting both bummpers fromt and rear and will only have 300 in to them plus my time welding them up. when Im done I will post a few pics.
    Earl

18. SCJimmy

SCJimmy 1/2 ton status

Cabela's carries them in their SUV/ATV catalog...

19. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Cabela's carries them in their SUV/ATV catalog...

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure enough, $179.99. I'll have to keep that in mind.

20. SCJimmy

SCJimmy 1/2 ton status

Didn't think about the front reciever/multimount till I saw Mudhogs post, now I really like that idea. Maybe after the 60/14... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[sweet husband voice]"Honey, there's this part I REALLY need for my truck"[sweet husband voice]
    /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif