Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Winch mounting questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TrcksR4ME, Jun 13, 2003.

1. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

I picked up a used Warn M8000 a while back and am finally thinking about installing it. I don't know all the "technical" terms so I'll try my best to explain. When hooking up the electrical to the winch it goes through a box with all the relays n stuff and then has wires that go to the winch itself. Is it possible to mount this box with the relays somewhere under the hood or farther away from the winch itself?

Second question is...is it important that the winch is mounted flat and about level, or could you mount it upside down or at a 90 degree angle, etc.

Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

THe relay is used so that there isnt the mega amps running through your hand controller. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Otherwise, it could get.. interesting.. especially in water... Anyways, Yes, you can mount it somewhere else, but make sure you dont go too far from the original intended distance. Try and reuse the cables it came with. If you must get longer ones, get a lower numerical gauge.

3. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Mount the "Box" under the hood, on the innerfender, adjacent to the battery, just run heavier lead's to the winch itself.

The plug in for the control is going to be a pain, pop the hood, and snake the cord through/under the hood, to winch? /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

4. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

Thanx for the info /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif