Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Winch off

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Rasberry, Jul 14, 2002.

1. Rasberry

Rasberry 1/2 ton status

Here's the problem. I can buy a Warn 9000i for 813.00 or I could buy a Ramsey 9500 for 775.00. Is warn really that mcuh better to pay more for less pulling power.
    <FORM METHOD=POST ACTION="http://coloradok5.com/forums/dopoll.php"><INPUT TYPE=HIDDEN NAME="pollname" VALUE="1026650616Rasberry">

Warn 9000 vs Rasmey 9500
    <input type="radio" name="option" value="1" />warm 9000i
    <input type="radio" name="option" value="2" />ramsey 9500
    <INPUT TYPE=Submit NAME=Submit VALUE="Submit vote" class="buttons"></form>

2. Rasberry

Rasberry 1/2 ton status

i found the ramsey 9500 with wireless remote for 799.00. That sounds like a deal.

3. backyardbuilt

backyardbuilt 1/2 ton status

I'd get the ramsey my 10,000 has been great I almost stole it though cost me 700$ brand new shipped to my door.

4. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Dont know much about winches but its good to see another Fla boy back. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif I havent seen your name around in prob close to a year. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

5. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

Say, Pure Insanity... How far are you from Palatka?

6. Rasberry

Rasberry 1/2 ton status

Its been a while, I got a little side tracked for a while but I always find my way home.

7. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Ramsey's 9500, unless they have redesigned have a bad tendency to get the cable jammed between the housing and the spool. It's a design flaw that they left a gap. Personnaly the only failures I have ever seen out of warns is fried solonoids. That's as much operator fault as anything else.
    Robzilla has busted his Ramsey 9500 twice that I am aware of.
    For what we do I really feel line speed is very important. Most of the time we only need a momentary full load pull and then the truck will help or move on it's own. If the winch can't real in fast enough then you have to stop the truck to keep from running over the cable. Often resulting in another stuck and full load pull. This is why the 8274 has such a great reputation.
    I personally have been in a situation wher my budd that was winching me up guard rail with his 8274 saved the day. If the winch had been any slower I would have rolled. I had caught traction the truck lurched forward and crabed sideways off a small ledge. It was on it's way over and people that were watching said I had plenty of air under both passenger side tires. The winch caught up and pull me back onto the wheels. Supposedly it was caught on Vid but I have not seen it myself but as far off camber as it felt I have no duobt I was on my way over.
    I'll be buying a HS9500i Warn. It's the second fastest winch currently on the market. My winch bumper will not let me mount a 8274 or I would get one of those.

8. Pure Insanity

I know the name Palatka. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif Ill have to ask. You making a Fla trip? For some reason I am thinking its not too far.

9. Pure Insanity

There seems to be a lot of that going around on this site. We may get lost but we can always come back. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

10. Pure Insanity

OK I asked my navigator (the wife) and she didnt know either. LOL! We checked Map Quest and its on the east of Gainesville. So I am about 2- 2 1/2 hrs away from there. I am north of Tampa by about 30-35 miles, if you know where Tampa is.

I75 is like 5 miles from me and HWY 301 and HWY 98 run right thru my town maybe 1 mile from me. I4 is like 30 miles away. Actually I have a decent location I guess, for traveling. Never really thought about it before. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif